Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 214 in a Year of my Life

Today, sadly, I said goodbye to my family for another month or so.

It was a full and wonderful three days of quality time with my little Chicklet, and I hope enough of a break for Mama and Dadoo to regenerate a little, after the last difficult few weeks.

I got to the train station very early this morning, as the Bare-chested Chef dropped me off on his way to work.

After we hugged goodbye, I got myself a take-away coffee, and headed over to the train station.

Not long after I got there, a self confessed 'homeless and harmless' man walked through the door, armed with a giant bucket of single pink roses that he was selling for $10 each.  He announced that the money went towards shelter and food for the homeless in the area.

As I was counting my change to buy a rose from him, he pointed to the ground under my seat and said "You are sitting over my bed.  That's where I sleep most nights."

Not long after that, a young man came through the door and needed to know where and when to catch the bus to Nambour that evening.

The homeless and harmless man gave him directions and information and asked if he would buy a rose.  The young man only had $2.65 in his pocket, and he apologised and gave it to the man as a donation.

In another little while, an 84 yr old lady arrived with her luggage.  She had been house and cat sitting for a friend for two weeks and was on her way home to Gladstone.

In the course of the conversation with the homeless and harmless man, he mentioned that today was his 56th birthday.  The elderly lady opened her purse and pulled out $20.  She said "I don't want a rose, because I have too far to travel.  This $20 is for you.  Happy birthday."

We chatted with the man for the next 90 minutes as we waited for the train and in that time, he helped a lot of people with directions and information and times for the trains and buses.

As the time approached for our train to arrive, he showed the elderly lady and myself where to stand for our carriage number.

It's cold and wet in the Sunny Coast tonight and I know that Cooroy has a shelter, so I hope that tonight, for his birthday, he is sheltered and warm.

A couple of photos from my time on the Sunny Coast ...



Today, I am grateful for a lucky life, in which I am warm and well fed and clothed and I know that I am loved by my Adoring Husband, my children, my family and my friends.  Others are not so lucky.

Nite all.

No comments: