Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Days 277 & 278 in a Year of my Life

I sincerely apologise for my absence last night .. but Number One Son has worn me out while he has been here and I fell into a deep sleep before 9pm!  Unheard of!

None of our regular group were going to Club last night, due to illnesses (I hope you are all feeling a little better as you read this) and due to holidays, so Adoring Husband and I took Number One Son to the river to do some fishing.

He has never caught a fish ... a keeper ... so he is a little obsessed about doing so.  Unfortunately his efforts, while here, have been fruitless, so he'll have to wait til the next visit!


Not a bad way to end the day.  Feel the serenity?


We also decided to cook a barbecue, at the park, for dinner, so we got to watch the sunset and then the boys ate a mixed grill lovingly prepared by AH.  I was waiting to come home for some of my delicious cauliflower and pumpkin soup.

After we returned home, I had my dinner, and we sat down to watch the football (my team was playing) but by half time, I was falling asleep on the couch, so I abandoned my 'blog updating plans' and climbed into bed.   Zzzzz.

Today was a quiet day spent trying to regain my energy after a restless night of broken sleep (that's what happens when you go to bed too early!).

This afternoon we decided to head into The Bay for the 'Blessing of the Fleet', an annual event that kicks off the whale season in The Bay every year, but which we have never attended.  I think it's the only annual event that we haven't attended since we moved here.

I took my camera and tripod so that I could attempt my first fireworks photograph, but alas, I chose the wrong lens.  I'll definitely attend again next year and I know exactly where I'd like to set myself up for some better shots.

In the meantime, here is one of Number One Son's shots.  Also his first time photographing fireworks and he did it without a tripod, so I'm suitably impressed with his efforts.


He shouted us dinner at a restaurant on the deck by the marina, which was very nice, though it was 'gluten friendly', not 'gluten free', and I found it to be NOT very friendly at all to my poor body.  Still, it was delicious and I've learned that it's a 'no go' in the future.

Number One Son heads home tomorrow and has to be back at work on Monday, much to his disappointment.  It's been nice to have him here, especially because 2 years have passed since his last visit!

Today I am grateful to have had the opportunity to spend some quality time with all of my kids this year.  We all live so far apart, it's difficult to co-ordinate our lives to get time together, so this year has been pretty special.

Nite all.


No comments: