Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 314 in a Year of my Life

I made those delicious looking Quinoa Fritters for lunch today.  I LOVED them!

It took me about 80 minutes altogether, to make them, BUT I did make my own mayonnaise in the middle of the cooking process, which took a bit of extra time.  The dipping sauce called for half a cup of mayo and I only had the processed mayo which is full of sugar, so I made my own.

I also changed the recipe for both the fritters and the dipping sauce.

I'm not a fan of cooked avocado, so I replaced the avo with chicken and I put the avo in the dipping sauce instead.

So I will give you my adaptation of the recipe first and then add the link to the original recipe, so you can choose your preferred fritter.

Quinoa Chicken Fritters

Ingredients for fritters ...

  • 1/2 cup of quinoa
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup cooked chicken (I had roasted a chook the night before and used the breast for this)
  • 1/4 cup of feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup of flour (I used GF SR flour, but I will try coconut flour & rice flour in the future)
  • 4 spring onions, chopped finely
  • 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
  • 3/4 t salt (I used pink Himalayan salt)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • Healthy oil for frying - I used macadamia oil.
  • Pepper to taste
Ingredients for sauce ...

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (my mayo was made with 1 whole egg, 1T lemon juice and a cup of oil)
  • 1 tsp chilli sauce (I just chopped a whole chilli finely)
  • 1/2 lime juiced
  • 1/2 tsp agave syrup (I used pure maple syrup instead)
  • 1/2 avocado mashed
  • 1/8 cup of pure cream
DIRECTIONS:

Lightly brown the quinoa in a dry frypan over a medium heat.  Keep stirring around and it should take about 5 minutes.

Transfer to a pot with water (3/4 cup) and turn the heat to low.  Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, until fluffy and the water is absorbed.

Use this time to make the dip.

Spoon the mayo into a bowl.  Add all of the other ingredients and stir until smooth and mixed well.  Check for seasoning - add salt n pepper to taste and then refrigerate.

Now for the fritters ...

Place cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl.  Add flour, crumbled feta cheese, spring onions, parsley and salt.  Add a dash of pepper and mix well.

Now add 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk.

Mix very well until quinoa mix forms a doughy texture.  This is where I added the chicken, chopped quite finely.

Rolls spoonfuls of the mixture into bite-sized balls and then flatten slightly.  It should make about 20.  I made 18.

I shallow fried them in a combination of macadamia oil and butter until golden brown.


Serve with dipping sauce.

Here is the link to the original recipe ... http://www.honeygheeandme.com/2012/08/avocado-stuffed-quinoa-fritters.html

I ate 6 for lunch and was almost uncomfortably full.  Very satisfying.

Today, I'm grateful for fun challenges in the kitchen and a full satisfied belly.

Now I need a nanna nap!

Nite all.

No comments: