Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Day 320 in a Year of my Life

I created a delicious potato salad recipe full of goodness today.  Gluten free and sugar free.


I wanted a meatless lunch that still included some protein, so here is what I did.

Ingredients (this should make 6 serves):

  • 3 medium potatoes washed and chopped into bite sized chunks, skin on
  • 3 eggs 
  • Half a brown onion chopped finely
  • 1 avocado cubed
  • 1/3 cup of pecans chopped and dry roasted in a saucepan
  • 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
  • Juice of 1/2 small lemon
  • A handful of parsley finely chopped
  • 1T butter
  • 2T Sour cream (full cream)
  • 1t Rapadura sugar (I will tell you about rapadura in a post next week)
  • Salt n cracked pepper to taste
Method:

  • Boil the potatoes and eggs together for about 10-15 mins until potatoes are cooked but still firm.
  • When they're cooked, tip into a strainer over the sink, remove and shell the eggs and chop into chunks.
  • In a good sized bowl, add finely chopped onion and the cubed avocado.
  • Pour over lemon juice and stir through.
  • Add crumbled feta cheese and stir through.
  • Tip the hot, cooked potato on top, add the butter and stir through until the butter is melted and coats the potato.  This is where you have a taste and then add the salt (if you need it) n pepper and stir again.
  • Add the egg and the roasted pecans and the sour cream.  Mix well.
  • Stir through chopped parsley and then sprinkle the rapadura evenly over the top and stir through evenly.
If you don't care about the type of sugar you use, then you can replace rapadura with any sugar you prefer.  You need the sweetness to help balance out the sour acidity of the lemon and the savoury saltiness of the feta.

This makes enough for probably 6 people to have as a side with their meat and salad.  I ate a small bowl of it for lunch and there's enough left for us to have with dinner tonight.  There will probably be some left over from that too.

What I love about avocados is that they are not on the pesticide list, so we don't have to worry about harmful chemicals.  They are also rich in magnesium and potassium, as well as vitamins B6, C, E and K.

Here is the yummy berry smoothie that I made yesterday and finished off this morning.


I'm off to make another attempt at some Photo5 ideas.

Nite all.

No comments: