Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Day 323 in a Year of my Life

O-M-G the wind!

All day, the winds have been gusting up to 59km hour.

We couldn't even sit at the Seat of Knowledge this morning because the wind was just too strong and too uncomfortable.  We said our 'good mornings' and then headed home.

Even though I have my nervous moments when the wind is like this during the day, it is much worse  for me at night.

Because the tornado hit us under the cover of darkness back in January, and we were in bed at the time, so that's when the memories come flooding back to make my heart pound.

Lying there listening to the heavy rain on the roof, or hearing the wind gusting, puts me on edge and I know that Adoring Husband feels the same.

During heavy storms over southern Queensland yesterday and last night, there was a suspected tornado near the Darling Downs.  Luckily, it didn't hit a heavily populated area and only damaged one person's property (not their home).

That news story certainly grabbed our attention.

I spent a bit of time in the kitchen again today.

My first little adventure was to make coconut rough chocolates.  Delicious, but rich!  I felt uncomfortable after eating 2 in one sitting .. they are about the size of a small cookie.

After that, for dinner tonight, I made a Smoked Cod and Sweet Potato Pie.  My own invention.

For the white sauce I used a savoury cashew cream and got the recipe for that here.


I had some leftover broccoli in the fridge (about half a head), so I cut the florets leaving most of the stems behind.  I also chopped 4 shallots and used about a 1/4 cup of frozen peas (I wouldn't usually use frozen vegetables, but I'm using up what's in the freezer).


I gently fried these in butter and then added it to the cashew cream.

I poached the smoked cod in full cream milk and butter and then flaked it and added it to the cashew cream mixture.  Stir it all through evenly and pour into a casserole dish.


I boiled and mashed 2 sweet potatoes and 1 normal potato with a dob of butter and then added a big dollop of sour cream to the mix.

I completely covered the smoked cod mixture with the mash and then put it in a very hot oven for 20 minutes, or until the mash started to brown a little.


I think next time I'd like to make some sort of crunchy crumble to put on top of the mash, for some added texture.  I tried to make croutons with gluten free bread, but that didn't work at all.

Adoring Husband didn't make any comment about the meal (I think he was secretly disappointed, expecting the usual smoked cod with white sauce), however, he ate it all, so he can't have hated it.

We both had some coconut rough later in the evening and AH wants to use the same recipe to make peanut clusters ... a much healthier option than the sugar laden peanut clusters that he buys from the shops, which are also full of other strange ingredients.

Today, I'm grateful to have a strong roof over our head.

Nite all.

No comments: