Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 325 in a Year of my Life


Since I changed my eating habits a month ago, I have 5 favourite 'go-to' foods, that I use in most meals (not all at once of course!).
  1. Home made chicken stock - I keep containers of it in the freezer.  It's great for quick soups, boiling rice in, adding to gravies and sauces and any of your favourite meat dishes like spaghetti bolognese sauce.  Much healthier and more full of goodness than the pre-packaged, watery, salty stocks that you buy in the shops.
  2. Feta Cheese, which I add to salads, mashes, sauces, vegetables, pizzas, quinoa etc.  Adds so much extra flavour and a little bit goes a long way.  One of the healthiest cheeses you can eat.
  3. Coconut Oil.  As an ingredient for cakes, chocolates and desserts.  Excellent for frying foods, for skin care and adding to smoothies.  I also add it to my muesli mix (recipe in this post).
  4. Nuts.  All nuts (raw and you can roast them yourself).  They are full of protein, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and omega 3 fatty acids.  They have a long shelf life.  They lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.  Add them to anything for extra flavour or extra crunch.  Excellent for making sauces and creams, in place of dairy.  They are also a healthy and satisfying snack.  
  5. Pure Maple Syrup (NOT maple flavoured syrup).  One of the healthiest replacements for refined sugar, full of manganese, zinc and antioxidants.  It supports reproductive health and Zinc is excellent for keeping your prostate healthy.  Maple Syrup can be used in tea and coffee, smoothies, marinades, over desserts and fruit salads.  I used it in my muesli mix today too.
I have a good supply of those 5 products in my pantry/fridge/freezer and I use them every single day knowing that they are improving the health of my body with vitamins, minerals, nutrients and other such goodness.

I've been wanting to make a nice gluten free, sugar free muesli for ages, so today, I started to do some research and looked for some recipes online.

After about 30 minutes, I couldn't find anything that I liked, and they all contained dried fruits (not a fan .. although the dehydrated fruits that I've made myself have so much more flavour and I may just incorporate them).

So I decided to experiment with all the nuts and seeds that I have stored in my pantry at the moment.

I can't give you any precise measurements, because I just threw in whatever I thought looked good!

Nutty Muesli Mix

Ingredients
  • A lot of raw skinless almonds (approx one and half cups)
  • 100g mix of pepitas, sunflower seeds and pine nuts
  • A good swig of sesame seeds
  • A good dollop of tahini
  • Approx 1 cup of quinoa puffs
  • A good handful of flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • Less than 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
  • A swig of maple syrup
  • Maybe 1/2 cup of coconut oil
  • Filtered water - maybe half a cup?
Throw it all in the food processor and mix it til it's all mixed up and the nuts are a 'bit' chopped up.  Lay it out roughly on some baking paper on an oven tray and put it in the oven at 200C for about 20 minutes.  Keep an eye on it because there is a point where it will start to burn .. you want it a bit golden.
When it comes out of the oven, separate it all (I used my favourite kitchen utensil - a paint scraper) til it's a crumbly, crunchy mixture.  Wait til it cools completely before putting it in an airtight container.

It is everything I hoped it would be and more!  I am going to eat it with natural yoghurt and fresh fruit for breakfast.

Tomorrow, I'll share my chicken stock method.

I can't wait to pick up our organic box of fruit and veg this afternoon - to see what lovely surprises are in there to challenge my cooking skills and get those creative juices flowing!

I have one more photo to share with you for the 'jelly' brief in the Canon Photo5 comp.


So far, after some friendly advice, this is the one that I'm using for the brief.

Today, I'm grateful for FROG.  The fruit and veg box was amazing.  We got lettuce, baby spinach, potatoes, pumpkin, broccoli, onions, bananas, apples, celery, oranges, avocado, carrots, tomatoes and mushrooms.  So happy!

Nite all.

No comments: