Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 338 in a Year of my Life

I think I've decided on this photo for number 6 on the challenge list that I showed you yesterday.  It's for 'macro'.


Macro photography is taking extremely close-up images of subjects. The technically correct definition would be to take an image at a 1:1 ratio but, in general usage, the term has come to mean any close-up photography.

I am waiting to upload the photo, because my anal brain is telling me to upload them in the order that the list states.  I can't believe I need to do that.  Once upon a time I wouldn't have cared, but strangely, as I get older, these things matter to me.  Who'da thunk??

Maybe some of Adoring Husband's traits are wearing off on me!

It rained during the night.

At around 2.30am AH had to get up and close the bedroom windows because the rain was blowing in and landing on his face.

I didn't hear a thing!  Apparently, we got 10ml of rain, which we definitely needed, and we could do with some more.

I've ordered my next organic FROG box (organic fruit n veg) to be delivered next Thursday (they pause operations over the school holidays).

I also ordered some extra goodies, like coconut oil, coconut water, maca powder and some extra vegetables, including 'KALE'.

I don't know about you, but I've never tasted kale!

It is one of the super vegetables as far as nutritional value ...

Some of Kale’s Many Benefits

Kale is rich in iron, vitamins K, A, C, and minerals manganese and copper. It’s also high in fibre, low in calories, and has no fat. There are several things that make it a healthy food, like other healthy foods. But those things that elevate it to super-food level are not your average vitamins and minerals.

The antioxidant concentration in kale is truly remarkable. It is particularly rich in carotenoids and flavonoids. Lutein and beta-carotene are two carotenoids that work to protect the body from oxidative stress while also boosting eye health and preserving vision – both are found in kale. As a result, kale may reduce the risk of eye problems like macular degeneration and other health problems related to cellular stress like hardening of the arteries and COPD. In addition, kaempferol, a flavonoid, and quercetin are both tied to cancer-prevention, and like the other carotenoids, kale has plenty of them.

Another powerful substance in kale that has been shown to help activate the detoxification enzymes within the liver is known as sulforaphane. This compound is produced when you chew or chop the vegetable.

So, what can kale actually do for you? Given the power of the numerous beneficial compounds within the vegetable, it is likely that kale can provide:
Protection against cancer
Improved digestion
Boosted immune function
Vision health
Heart health
Anti-inflammatory benefits
General detox
Reduced cholesterol

So, over the years, I've heard people talk about kale, but I've never noticed it in the supermarkets, and I can't say that I ever noticed it in the farmer's markets or organic markets that we once frequented.  

I must check to see if it can be grown easily in this sub tropical climate of ours. 

I'm looking forward to trying it.  I can add it to my juices and smoothies, and also to salads.  It's best eaten raw because cooking it can remove some of it's nutritional potency.  Steaming it, on occasion, is ok. 

I'm looking forward to trying it.

Today, I'm grateful for quiet time to catch up on some photography tutorials and photoshop lessons.  Time flies when you're having fun!

Nite all.




No comments: