Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Bellbird Cafe

The Nikonian and I went on a photo shoot with another photographer buddy, Karlbobsky, this morning.

We left at 6am, though we think an earlier start may have produced some successful morning light photos.

Our aim for the day was to spot a Wedge Tailed Eagle.

The first raptor that we spotted, thanks to The Nikonian, was a Spotted Harrier ...


I was farthest away from where the bird was perched on a fence post, so rather than try to get closer and disturb it, I left it to The Nikonian and Karlbobsky, who were much closer and getting some good shots.

I made my way down the road towards a bit of a bridge, where I thought there might be a nice stream, or something of interest.

As I got there, I suddenly heard a commotion behind me, and as I turned to figure out what was going on, in my peripheral sight, I noticed a large bird soaring above me!

It was the Spotted Harrier that the others had been photographing, and the commotion was them, trying to attract my attention, to tell me to 'LOOK UP!'

Just in the nick of time!  This was the only good shot I got.

It was quite a successful day, with a Kingfisher, Grey Heron, King Parrot, some honey eaters. a Bassian Thrush, a Peaceful Dove, a Spangled Drongo and way, way up in the sky was a Wedge Tailed Eagle .. too far away to photograph.

We stopped at the Bellbird Cafe near Kenilworth and had a delicious breakfast and coffee.  The service was very friendly and efficient.  The food was delicious.  The coffee, a bit weak - next time I'll ask for a double shot - and the location was lovely, with a big lily pond which attracted all sorts of different birds.

We spend quite a bit of time there, but the heat beat us in the end.  It kept most birds away and made birdwatching a little uncomfortable.

I'd definitely like to return there in the Spring, when the weather is nicer and the bird life more active.

We were home by lunch time and then enjoyed sharing our photos with each other on facebook.

The Nikonian and I watched a really bad movie this afternoon as we relaxed in the air conditioned comfort of the lounge room.  We don't recommend watching 'American Hustle'.

A nice glass of wine to finish the day off and now an early night.

I'm looking forward to a good night of sleep .. we both drank coffee in the afternoon yesterday, and consequently struggled to get any sound sleep last night, so the combination of lack of sleep and the heat of the day, was quite taxing.

I hope to share more photos from today, during the week.

Time to head home tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to getting back into my kitchen and sleeping in my bed, but most of all to seeing Adoring Husband.  Ten days is too long.

Nite all.

No comments: