Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, February 24, 2014

Dog of a NIght

Yesterday, while working in the kitchen, one of my dogs (Colli - a Shihtzu/Maltese), shrieked as she walked out of the kitchen.

I wondered if I had inadvertently stepped on her tail or something, so I gave her a pat and thought nothing more of it.

Later that evening before we went to bed, she gave another shriek, so I checked her feet and all over her body to see if she might have a thorn or prickle embedded somewhere, but I couldn't find anything.

I put her to bed (she sleeps in the laundry) at around midnight and went to bed myself.

I couldn't settle at all and even got out of bed at 2am to have a shower, hoping that would relax me into sleep.

At about 3.30am, just as I was dozing off for the first time, we woke to the sound of her shrieking.

At first I thought it was OB (the lorikeet) because she shrieks like that all the time!

But then I heard Adoring Husband's very distressed voice calling my name, so out of bed I climbed, and found Colli cowering on the floor with her back hunched and looking very unhappy indeed.

Once again, I felt all over her body and checked her feet.  Her tummy wasn't distended and she didn't flinch when I squeezed any part of her body.  I had no clue.

Meanwhile, AH was searching online, for 'all night' vets.

I decided to bring her into our bed for the rest of the night and then we would take her to the vets first thing in the morning.

She found a comfy spot snuggling into me and fell asleep for about 30 minutes before she squirmed and whined and then found a more comfortable position.  This went on all night, until I fell asleep just after 6am.

As I tried to move into a more comfortable position, a bit over an hour later, she woke with more shrieking.  Sigh.

So, much to AH's horror, I began to fill the laundry tub to give her a bath.  I thought that if I could wet her fur down, I could feel her skin much better and I might find the problem.

Then I went back into the bedroom to get her and found her frantically licking one of her feet.  I checked to discover that the dewclaw on her right front foot had grown into a complete circle and had pierced her leg!

So I took her into the laundry and performed some delicate surgery to cut and remove the offending claw, gave her a bath, clipped her claws and gave her a bit of a hair cut .. moments later she was running around the backyard having a wonderful time!

What an ordeal!  Poor Adoring Husband came close to having a nervous breakdown!  He's not good with situations that he can't control and is especially fragile when it comes to his canine babies.

Here she is catching up on some much needed sleep ...


So I'm issuing AH an invoice for services rendered, with a family discount of course!!  I think $240 should cover it + a bit extra for the fuel that I saved him!  Maybe I should add a bit more, for the fact that he didn't have to miss out on his morning at the SES shed!

All's well that ends well.

Nite all.

No comments: