Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Focused on Study

Today, I was very productive, studying.

After my morning at the Seat of Knowledge, I came home and made a red smoothie.  This is my new favourite smoothie ...


You can replace the kefir with natural yoghurt or Greek yoghurt.

I had never tasted dragon fruit until today.

Last week when I was in the Go Natural store, I saw the dragon fruit, so, out of interest, I picked one up.  It has been sitting in my fridge for 5 days, so I grabbed it this morning and cut it in half.

Straight away, I fell in love with the colour and texture of this beautiful fruit.

I took a spoon and scooped out a mouthful to taste.  Sweet and juicy and delicious!

That's when I decided to add it to my morning smoothie and result was amazing.  I had two big glasses of it today and there is a glass left for tomorrow + the ingredients to make more on Tuesday.

The ingredients in this smoothie are very good for cleansing and detoxing, as well as adding good bacteria to your gut.

I think it also contributed to my clearer head for study today.  It's the first time that I've been able to fully focus on my study without being easily distracted.

I got 4.5 solid hours in today.  Previously I could only study for an hour before needing to stop and do something else to clear my mind.

I haven't been making smoothies every morning, like I was, so I think my nutrient levels have been a bit low.  I must be more diligent!  I need brain food!

Here is the finished product of Calcium Powder ...


If you want to try it, try to use 'organic' eggs and make sure you wash your egg shells after you've broken them .. you don't want any egg white left behind .. and I just stored mine in a bowl and on the kitchen bench until I had enough.

I use at least 18 eggs each week for breakfasts and in my cooking (eggs are a superfood!), so it didn't take long to have enough eggs for the calcium powder.

Boil them for at least ten minutes, then lay them on a tray and put them in a 200C oven for ten minutes.  That dries them out and makes them nice and crunchy for grinding.

Crunch them up by hand and then feed through the coffee grinder.

It's what I used in my smoothie today.  It's recommended to only use 1 teaspoon per day - otherwise it can cause diarrhoea... and we don't want that!  It's an excellent natural source of calcium without the synthetics and additives.

WHAT IS CALCIUM AND WHAT DOES IT DO?

Calcium is a mineral that is necessary for life. In addition to building bones and keeping them healthy, calcium helps our blood clot, it helps our nerves send messages and it helps our muscles contract.

About 99% of the calcium in our bodies is in our bones and teeth, but every day, we lose calcium through our skin, nails, hair, sweat, urine and faeces, but our bodies can't produce new calcium.

That's why it's important to try to get calcium from the food we eat. When we don’t get enough calcium for our body's needs, it is taken from our bones.

It's important, when taking Calcium, to make sure you are getting a natural source of Vitamin D .. this is needed to absorb the Calcium.

Thirty minutes in the sunshine before 10am or after 3pm every day, with at least your arms and legs uncovered so that you have enough skin surface soaking up the sunshine.  No sunscreen!

That's your health lesson for the day :)

Nite all.

No comments: