Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Small Fail

I cooked a pork belly for dinner tonight.

My plan was for crispy skinned slow cooked pork belly.

Well, it was slow cooked and it was pork belly, but it was not crispy skinned!

Sadly, this is my second fail at crispy skin!

I scored the skin and I rubbed salt into it and I cooked it in the very hot oven (230C) for 30 minutes and then reduced the heat to 170C for the next two hours... just as the Jamie Oliver recipe suggested.

Last time I used a different recipe, but the instructions were basically the same.

My skin just doesn't go crispy.

The pork itself, was delicious and tender and melted in the mouth.

I lay it on a bed of apple, cabbage and bacon mix.  Potato mash and baked pumpkin on the side with a fairly disappointing gravy.

Unfortunately I had a visitor for a couple of hours this morning, so I didn't get to make the chocolate muffins as I'd planned.  That will be a job for tomorrow now.

It was another beautiful day today and after I'd been to the Seat of Knowledge, I pedalled around town for a while looking for 'something' to photograph.

There wasn't much happening, so this is all that I have to share today.



Adoring Husband and I are not doing very well in our local footy tipping comp this week.  We only have 2 out of 4 so far and the fifth game is not looking promising at this point .. however there is still 23 minutes to go, so there is still hope.

I'm off to cheer the losing team on!

Nite all.

2 comments:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

Roz, sprinkle the pork belly liberally with salt and leave in the refrigerator at least an hour before you begin your recipe. It draws out the moisture. When you're ready to cook the pork, wipe away the excess salt and moisture and you are guaranteed a crispy skin. Here is my recipe.

http://www.justdreaminparadise.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/do-you-like-pork-belly.html

Age said...

Thank you so much Judi! I will try that next time .. hopefully next weekend :)