Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Leaky Boat

Nah, this is not about leaky boats.

It's about 'leaky gut'.

The 'gut' is the key to good health. If your gut is healthy, chances are that you are in good health, but there’s a condition called 'leaky gut'.

When your gut is leaky, things like toxins, microbes, undigested food particles, and other yukky stuff can escape from your intestines and travel throughout your body via your bloodstream.  Your immune system marks these “foreign invaders” as pathogens and attacks them and THAT can lead to all kinds of health problems like ...
  • Digestive issues such as bloating, diarrhoea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
  • Seasonal allergies and asthma.
  • Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid conditions, lupus, psoriasis, or celiac disease.
  • Diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue or Fybromyalgia.
  • Mood and mental issues like anxiety, depression, ADD & ADHD.
  • Skin issues like acne and eczema.
  • Candida overgrowth.
  • Food allergies or intolerances.
Food, infections and toxins cause leaky gut.  Gluten is the number one food that causes leaky gut.  Inflammatory and toxic foods like dairy (homogenised and pasteurised, but not raw), sugar and excess alcohol are other culprits.

The most common infectious causes are parasites and small intestine bacterial overgrowths.

Toxins that cause leaky gut come in the form of medications, including NSAIDS (like Aspirin, Naprosin, Motrin and Advil), steroids, antibiotics, and acid-reducing/heartburn drugs (both over the counter and prescription).

There are also environmental toxins like mercury, pesticides and BPA from plastics.

Stress and age also contribute to a leaky gut.

So, if you suffer from any of those conditions mentioned, it’s possible that you have a leaky gut.

To heal, you obviously need to remove the toxic and inflammatory foods from your diet, add good bacteria to help fight the bad, by using nutrients and supplements like L-glutamine, an amino acid that helps rejuvenate the lining of the gut wall, or good probiotics and my favourite ... good old fashioned home made bone broths.

See, no leaky boat :)

This is a photo, from the archives, that I took a couple of years ago at Apple Tree Creek.


I've always liked it.

I have to get up early in the morning to work, so I'd best get some sleep.

Nite all.




No comments: