Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Matters

Chemistry .. lesson one .. Matter and Measurement.

I read 21 comments on the student forum page today, from 21 people who are all stressing over how difficult Chemistry is and the fact that they require more than the allocated 10 hours per lesson and that they are certain that they'll fail the exam!

How comforting to know that I am not alone in the world of 'oh God I think I'm going to fail'!

Today, I began to study Matter and Measurement.

Firstly, I made a big mistake by going into the tutorials and choosing the first one on the list .. it was about atoms and after 30 minutes of a 150 minute tutorial, my brain exploded all over my computer monitor and the walls of my office.

It was messy.

Then I discovered that the tutorials are listed in a very odd order and did not match the lesson plan.

Whew!

So I went back to my lesson list and discovered that Matter and Measurement is where it all starts.

THAT, I can handle.

Learning the difference between Organic and Inorganic Chemistry.

Learning the basics of elements, compounds, mixtures, matter and energy.

Learning metric measurements and symbols.

Learning simple nutritional calculations using mass and energy data.

THAT is a little more than I can handle.

They said, on the forum page, that Lesson One is the easiest and that every lesson gets more and more difficult.

This is going to be an interesting month and procrastination is NOT an option.

Intense.

Nite all.  

No comments: