Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New Religion

YouTube is my saviour.

My first essay is due in a few weeks. 800 words to describe the Blood Buffer System and how it relates to Metabolic Acidosis & Alkalosis and Respiratory Acidosis & Alkalosis. I have to provide examples of these conditions and discuss the complications ... among other things.

So I checked the lessons provided on the study smart system and all I could see was blah blah blah blah blah.

Then I checked the recommended textbook readings and all I could see was blah blah blah blah blah.

In a fit of desperation, I checked YouTube and lo and behold, thanks to a couple of very helpful professors who explained it all very succinctly using language that I could clearly understand, I am now feeling very confident about my essay!

The only problem that I can foresee, is remembering different formulae and equations, which I will definitely need to master before the exams in early March.

For example, this is an equation that it is recommended we know how to write and understand, in an exam ...

H₂O +  CO₂  <- ->  H₂CO₃  <- ->  H⁺ + HCO³ˉ

They are chemical symbols for Water, Carbon Dioxide, Carbonic Acid and Bicarbonate.

EEP!! Right?!

So, as I said, YouTube is my saviour and I look forward to starting my essay tomorrow, knowing what I now know.

It's been another HOT day here in paradise. Thank goodness we have air conditioning otherwise paradise would have lost it's sparkle by now and I might have posted a 'for sale' sign on our front lawn! The worst part is that February is our hottest month and we are not even half way through January yet!!

I received a very special package in the mail yesterday from BGWLBH with a selection of beautifully hand crafted gifts that she made herself, especially for me. I want to take photos and share them here and I hope to do so this week during one of my breaks from study. They are amazing!

Right now, I am waiting patiently for a tennis match to start, between the Australian Nick Kyrgios and Jerzy Janowicz from Poland. The match has been delayed due to rain, but it should start soon. I am hopeful.

I may need something to nibble on to keep me awake for the duration!

Nite all.



 

No comments: