Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, January 12, 2015

Wiped Out

No study for me today.

Adoring Husband and I headed into The Bay early today. While he had some SES chores to attend to, I had a shopping list a mile long.

Our first stop was one of my favourites. Office Works. It's back-to-school time, so the shop is chockers full of interesting folders and notepads and pencil cases and highlighter pens and novelty pins and paperclips and sticky notes and washi tape and oh the list goes on!

I needed some big study notebooks, mini post-it notes and some printer paper, but I couldn't resist a new pencil case, some highlighter pens and a USB stick. My self control astounded me!

Next was the Go Natural store for some organic fruit and veg, because the FROG people close down for the school holidays and even though I bought extras with my last order, obviously they're not going to last for 6 weeks. There is not a lot available at this time of year either. The Queensland Summer is not conducive to the normal Summer crops.

We even found some organic chook food which wasn't too much more expensive than our usual buy.

Nanna's Pantry for some coconut oil and to replenish our nut supply.

Thirty minutes in the supermarket for the rest of the groceries.

The new kitchenware store 'Robin's Kitchen' was my next stop to find some bottles for my newly brewed kombucha.

Here, I learned a very valuable lesson and came to the realisation that my eyesight is not as trustworthy as it once was! I bought, what I thought was a metal vegetable spiralizer, but after I arrived home, I discovered that it was an apple peeler and corer! Note to self: Put your glasses on and read the box .. don't just look at the picture on the box and make up your own story to go with it!

On the upside, Adoring Husband was very excited because he has always wanted a mechanical apple peeler and corer! He had fun attempting to peel and core a sweet potato this evening (yes, I know that sweet potatoes don't have cores).

Doctor Dan's was next for a six-pack of Oyster Bay Sav Blanc.

Finally, a fresh seafood stop and a coffee before heading home.

With more SES duties to attend to, Adoring Husband left me to unpack the groceries, clean out the fridge so that there was enough room for the fresh food, cook the pumpkin for the fresh dog food which eventually took me an hour to make and package up.

By the time I cleaned up the kitchen and sat down with yet another large vessel of wine, it was almost 5pm and I reclined in my lounge as my feet felt like they had just completed a marathon.

But wait!! Oh that's right. Dinner still needs to be prepared! Ugh.

Savoury chilli turkey mince with cabbage, bok choy and sweet potato rings.  Forty minutes later .. let's try that sitting back and relaxing thing again.

Ahhhh

Back to the studies tomorrow.

Nite all.

No comments: