Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sugary Surprises

Remember all the things we've been taught about fat for the last 40-50 yrs? Forget it.

Replace the word 'fat' with 'sugar' and you have the actual truth about what is good and what is bad.

Animal fats, butter, pure cream, avocado, macadamia and pecan nuts, coconut oil/milk/cream/butter .. all good for you and will help you lose weight and get healthy by improving your body's ability to absorb and use the nutrients in the good food that you consume.

Processed/polyunsaturated, canola/vegetable/sunflower/peanut/corn/soy oils are BAD, even though they have the healthy heart tick of approval (don't even get me started on the healthy heart tick!!)

When you cook with polyunsaturated vegetable oils (such as canola, sunflower, rice, peanut, corn, and soy oils), oxidised cholesterol is introduced into your system. As the oil is heated and mixed with oxygen, it goes rancid. Rancid oil is oxidised oil and should NOT be consumed—it leads directly to vascular disease.

Good oils for cooking are avocado, macadamia and coconut oils. Olive oil should be used cold, for salad dressings or for pouring over your cooked meals ... you know how the good chefs on TV drizzle that yummy oil over the finished product?

Now for the sugar.

Glucose is the form of energy we are designed to run on. Every cell in our body, every bacterium—and in fact, every living thing on the Earth—uses glucose for energy.

These days, instead of glucose being added to foods, fructose (a chemical imposter) is easier, faster and cheaper to add to all processed foods. 

Your body metabolises fructose in a much different way than glucose. The entire burden of metabolising fructose falls on your liver.

This chemical imposter is responsible for your insulin resistance and weight gain.

Elevated blood pressure.

Elevated triglycerides and LDL.

Depletion of vitamins and minerals.

Even gout, heart disease and liver damage?

I would love to explain the science of it and how it effects your body, but there is no way to describe it using terms that you could comprehend. You would quickly skim over it trying to get to the end!

You should be checking the ingredients in every packaged food that you buy. 







Interesting huh?

If you get the chance to see "That Sugar Film" which is currently making the rounds of Australia, but only in limited non-mainstream cinemas, please do it. The nearest to me is Brisbane or Gold Coast, so I won't get to see it, however, I've seen a few different previews of it and if it ever becomes available to buy, I will most definitely get myself a copy!

The alternative is to buy "That Sugar Book" by Damon Gameau. Check out the link for the storyline.

I'm off to cook dinner. I've got chicken breast out, but I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

I made little bacon and egg muffin-ie things for lunch and then "apple crunch" to have for dessert tonight (ok, so we had to have a serving at lunch time too!). Hopefully, I'll remember to post photos of the process tomorrow .. and I'll definitely share the recipe. It's delicious!

Nite all

 




1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

Oooohhh! I really want that recipe!