Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, March 28, 2015

It's a Lifestyle

I had a fabulous night in Bundaberg last night listening to Pete Evans and Luke Hines explaining all things Paleo.

Pete started the night by announcing that he has NEVER stated that Paleo cures any medical condition.

The media have falsely accused him AND the Paleo lifestyle of many things and he is generally thick skinned but that's the one thing he wanted to clear up.

Something else that he wanted to point out was that the media continue to create stories about how 'dangerous' the Paleo lifestyle is but have not ever provided evidence of this danger. The Paleo lifestyle has been around forever, and popular for the last 10-15 years, so if there was danger involved, we would certainly have evidence of it by now.

When he asked followers on his facebook page to provide personal stories about how the Paleo lifestyle had affected their lives, he received over 2400 responses on the first day alone. All of them positive and all of them about health improvements.

He and Luke cooked up about 15 different dishes during the show. The guys were funny and entertaining and shared their knowledge of food, nutrition, health and cooking.

I bought Pete's new book and one of Luke's books, but I only glanced through them very briefly when I got home last night (at midnight), and I've been out all day today, so I can't report their value yet.

One of my favourite parts of the show was when Luke, who is a personal trainer, and the one who sets the training schedule for the Paleo Way 10 Week program, told us all that if we don't want to exercise or train, we don't have to.

He said that moving is important, so doing something like dancing, mountain climbing, walking, gardening, housework etc., is great for keeping joints supple and the blood pumping, but heavy exercise (like what we see on shows like 'The Biggest Loser') is not necessary or unsustainable.

I'm really pleased that I got to attend the show, especially with Woman of Many Talents who I know shares my passion for finding optimum health.

I learnt a lot, and the healthy glow, endless energy and boundless enthusiasm that emanated from both men, was enough to inspire me to continue full steam ahead on this journey to good health.

This photo is of the crowd during the half time break where we all gave each other a neck and shoulder massage and stretched our legs. You can't see me .. but I know where I am :)


Today, Adoring Husband and I had a movie date and saw 'Manny Lewis' starring Carl Baron. We loved it. Our next date will be on Tuesday when we'll see 'What we did on our Holiday' with David Tennant and Billy Connolly. There are some good movies showing at the cinema at the moment, so while I'm on a study break, we might get to see a few.

Speaking of study, I got the results of my Chemistry exam today and although it was a little disappointing, it was still a good pass of 79%. The results of my Chemistry assignment came through at the same time and was a pleasing 100%. Chemistry is difficult .. for me .. but my study habits also didn't help.

All I'm waiting for now, is my Anatomy and Physiology exam results.

I'm going to use my study break to do some cooking and restock the freezer with deliciousness for the days when I'm too consumed with study to put any effort into our meals. I'm looking forward to spending some time in the kitchen.

I also have just three days to come up with an idea for this month's flickr challenge which is 'light' .. any light except sunlight. I have something in mind .. just not sure if I can pull it off.

Anyway, time for bed.

Nite all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.