Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, October 1, 2015

De-cluttering Time

My only real plan for the day, was to change the bedding, including the quilt cover to bring some new colour into the bedroom.

Big mistake!

This led to clearing out the linen cupboard.

I threw away three bags of linen.

Old white sheets and pillow cases that had miraculously changed their colour from white to yellow. A cane picnic basket that has been stored there for 7 years and has never been used in that time. Some old oven mitts. Hand towels and t-towels. A bag full of light globes that don't fit any light fittings in our house. Computer cables that are now living in the 'man shed'. Tote bags and eco bags that have NEVER been used.

I got half way through the cleansing process when I had to stop to make lunch. The laundry and hallway looked like a disaster area!

After lunch, I lost all motivation and it took me more than an hour to build up my care factor and finish the job.

My status update on facebook, which declared my achievement of linen cupboard clearing, brought comments from a few people, one of whom introduced me to something called the KonMari method of de-cluttering, where you hold the item (clothes, shoes, knick-knacks, photos etc etc) and ask yourself if this item brings you joy. If you have to think about it, the answer is no and you should toss it.

I am going to look further into this process because I'm feeling somewhat inspired to completely cleanse and de-clutter my life!

The pantry is next on my list, then all of the wardrobes in all of the bedrooms, and of course my office/work area which will probably be the scariest part of all!

Meanwhile, I found this little family on my way home from coffee a few mornings ago...


I also found a Butcher Bird nest with babies in it, but Mrs Butcher Bird is very protective, so I don't think I have much chance of getting a photo. I will don my suit of armour tomorrow and make an attempt.

Post-de-cluttering sleep is now required .. which can also be described as pre-de-cluttering sleep, if I can make another start tomorrow!

Nite all.

No comments: