Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Kid's Karaoke

This afternoon, Adoring Husband and I, along with 19 others, caught the Burrum River Cruise boat across the river to Walker's Point, where the Woodgate Bowl's Club courtesy buses picked us all up and drove us to said club.

It was supposed to be for dinner and some live entertainment.

Once there, we signed in, bought ourselves a drink and then sat in the outdoor area to chat for a while before ordering dinner.

I had blue swimmer crab, oysters and king prawns, followed by a GF strawberry tart. It was delicious.

Adoring Husband had steak and salad, followed by a GF strawberry tart. His steak was full of gristle and he was disappointed.

A few of us then made our way into the poker machine area, while others found a table near the stage where the entertainment was supposed to occur.

It was karaoke.

There were about 20 children in attendance ranging from about age 4 through to teenagers. They all well and truly hogged the microphone. A couple of them had wonderful singing voices. Most of them sounded dreadful.

The words to some of the songs are highly inappropriate for young children to be singing, but they didn't even realise the meaning behind the words.

We left the club at about 9.45pm and only about 3 adults had been up to sing, none of us, I might add. The staff advised that no children were allowed in the club after 10pm, but of course, we had to leave before then to catch the boat back to our town.

So half of us watched the football (yay for the Cowboys defeating Storm .. now it will be an all Queensland Grand Final), and half of us watched the karaoke. Some of us enjoyed the karaoke and some of us just wanted it to be over!

Finally, the football was over and we all climbed into the courtesy buses and headed back to Walker's Point boat ramp to catch the boat home.

It was quite chilly out on the water but I had Mardi and The Leggy Blond on either side of me, which kept me warm and snug for the trip. I gave my wrap to The Leggy Blond because she was freezing. She needed it more than I did.

She and her husband, who I shall name Carl Fredricksen (From the movie 'UP') gave us a lift home.

Of all our trips across the river to Woodgate Bowls Club, this one was probably the most disappointing for us. It was a long night and we were pleased to get home.

It's well after midnight and I am sitting here at home watching an old movie made in 1961 (when I was one year old!) called 'The Parent Trap' with Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith. I remember watching and loving this movie as a child of about 10, and I am still enjoying it tonight 45 odd years later!

That's it for our day. It's almost 1am.

Nite all.




No comments: