Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, July 8, 2016

Sporting Chance

Despite watching some of the Wimbledon lady's semi-final tennis last night, I did get to sleep much earlier than any night in the past ten days. It was still around midnight, but I enjoyed a solid seven hours of sleep, which made it easier to get up earlier.

As promised, Adoring Husband and I drove into The Bay to watch the kids play touch football in their carnival.

Both kids are all round superstars. They have the brains and motivation to top their classes at school, the physical fitness and prowess to excel in any sport they choose, a relaxed and easy going manner to make friends wherever they go and are both popular with their peers, leadership qualities that I'm sure will take them far in their futures and both of them are physically and spiritually beautiful human beings ie inside and out.

'Moopoo' is sixteen years old and today played on Field One in a game that was live streamed on the net. Her team lost. They entered the tournament to be competitive, but did not expect to do well against more experienced and more successful teams in their age bracket. However, they have done better than expected and are enjoying themselves.

'Chunky' is fourteen and his team is, so far, unbeaten. They are expected to win the tournament for their age bracket. They are a young, experienced team who have played together for a couple of years now and so they know each other's game well and it shows in their play. The pressure is definitely on them though!

It's a massive tournament and there were thousands of kids of all age groups in attendance there today. All of the car parks were full and cars were parked for more than a kilometre along every street leading into and out of the sports grounds. It was crazy!

We were lucky enough to nab what we call a 'rock star carpark', when we drove into one of the full car parks right on the edge of the grounds and as we gave up and turned to leave, somebody was backing out, so we drove straight in! We were literally a two minute walk to the field.

After Chunky won his game, we left the grounds to do our shopping for the weekend. Again, there were people everywhere in The Bay, and Stocklands was incredibly busy. The supermarket was buzzing with activity and I admit that I was feeling pretty stressed by the time we got to the checkout! Couldn't wait to get out of there!

I would, however, like to give a big 'thumbs up' to Carol on checkout 4, who was incredibly friendly and efficient and whose packing skills were exceptional! She definitely eased my stress levels .. in fact I am going to email Coles to tell them how great she was!

I'll be right back ...

Done!

We now have a fridge and pantry full of goodies and I have a plan in my head for all the dishes that I'm going to prepare. It would have been easy to get carried away, but I want to enjoy tomorrow night with everybody else, so I'm mostly making food that can be prepared in advance and Adoring Husband will cook the meat on the barbecue.

So I have a cheese platter to prepare, I bought two dips and will make one of my own, I'll do smoked salmon & cream cheese discs, I've selected four different salads to make and I've decided on a GF red velvet cake for Best Cousin in the World's birthday. We also bought her a gift, which I won't reveal here, just in case she reads this.

I'm on it!!

Now, at 11.30pm, I am going to bed to watch Roger Federer play Milos Raonic in the Wimbledon men's semi-final. They are one set each and I'm pretty sure that I will fall asleep before I know the outcome of this one!

Nite all.

No comments: