Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Experimental Gingerizing

Best Cousin in the World visited today, her arms loaded with coffee from Sexie Coffee. What a life saver!

She was also loaded up with a box full of ginger from her farm.

We peeled it and sliced two different types of ginger, and lay the slices onto six trays of the dehydrator.

I flipped the switch to turn on the dehydrator.


No lights. No motor. Absolutely nothing.

I found the manual in the filing cabinet, while Marco Polo found it online, but there was nothing in that to help.

So Marco Polo asked for a screw driver and pulled the back off the box to check the motor.

I thought it might be damage from geckos - they have a habit of eating through wiring - but we couldn't see anything. Then he broke my house. There was an almighty spark and the power went out!

He found the power box and the power returned, but not to the dehydrator.

We achieved nothing and still have no idea why it's not working.

This meant we had to use the oven on low.

Best Cousin in the World and I are both photographers and neither of us thought about taking photos of our ginger experiments in the kitchen!

After we'd finished peeling and chopping, it was time for lunch. I made Hainan Chicken and then we had chocado mousse with berries and chocolate coconut ice cream. It was very filling and we enjoyed it with a couple of glasses of wine.

Being farmers, with errands to run and responsibilities to fulfil, they left at about 2pm.

The ginger has now finished dehydrating. The pieces that were cut quite thickly, have set like concrete, but the very thinly sliced ginger is nice and crispy and crumbly. I am going to grind it up and add it to some curry spices for a green curry. I'll also try some dips, like a ginger hummus and maybe a carrot and ginger dip. Chilli, garlic and ginger might be nice too.

After chewing on some of the ginger, I swallowed a mouthful of wine to cleanse my palate and OMG the taste of the wine combined with the ginger was DELICIOUS!!

That was my gingery day.

Now I'm preparing for Bubbles and Knight in Shining Armour to arrive tomorrow!

Adoring Husband will also be returning from his SES exercise out west. Tomorrow should be a good day!

Nite all.  

No comments: