Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Gale Force!

We left bright and early for our trip into The Bay so that I could be fitted with the heart monitor.

The woman who fitted it was a 'little miss have a chat' and we talked about medical stuff ups (Who me?? How unusual! After 20 years in the medical industry, she shared some doozies herself!! More fuel for my fire lol). We also discussed X-husbands, the deaths of our mothers, online shopping, a serious virus that has recently been discovered in a major Brisbane Hospital and some other very interesting stuff that I can't repeat!

So I'm wearing the monitor and it hasn't really bothered me until tonight. I got to the ten hour mark when I began to feel a little uncomfortable and I needed to undo the belt for 5 minutes, just to stretch and breathe. Sleeping will be the test!

The interesting part is maintaining a diary of my activities and actions. Every time I do something different, I have to press the silver button, then write the time on the sheet, what the activity is and how I'm feeling. Fortunately, if I don't feel anything different, I simply draw a line. They should consider themselves lucky that I haven't opened one of my journals and begun diarising my every thought, action and feeling!! There have been MANY thoughts!!

I've had a pretty busy day to monitor too!

We had to do some shopping in town before returning home. When we arrived home I unpacked the groceries, prepared a chicken for baking in the oven, cooked up the pumpkin for the dog food, hung out some washing, spent an hour at my desk, hung out some more washing, rode to Woman of Many Talent's house for drinks with her and Mrs Bucket, rode home, carved the chicken, made a salad for our barbecue and then drove down to the park for said barbecue.

Tonight was a farewell for our lovely friends Rebel Mardi and the Life Saver. This is their final week before moving to the Sunny Coast, so we had a good crowd of mates gather, in dreadful conditions, to spend quality time with them before they go.

The wind was so strong tonight, that the food was blowing off plates, plates were flying off tables, glasses of alcohol were being blown over and our clothes were being swept up, around, over and across our heads and bodies causing quite a bit of discomfort.

The gale force conditions combined with the noise of so many people under the pergola caused me a great deal of stress and we were the first to leave. I apologise to my lovely friends for abandoning them and for departing in such a dramatic manner, but I just couldn't stay any longer!

My weak tolerance levels probably have a lot to do with my thyroid condition at the moment. I'm very edgy and volatile lately, much to Adoring Husband's distress.

Anyway, there were some lovely speeches where a couple of friends courageously spoke from their hearts and managed to trigger some emotional tears all round. Speeches need to be very short in these circumstances, because emotions run high and voices quickly crack and that brings us all to our knees.

I know that I will not be able to share my feelings out loud. I'd end up a blubbering wreck and nobody wants or needs to see that!

Now, I'm off to bed before midnight (best put that in the diary!). I'm looking forward to coffee with the girls tomorrow before heading into town to have this darned monitor removed!

Nite all.

    

No comments: