Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Footy Fail

Oh the temptation was there!

I am training Chicklet to get excited about the football.

She is "voting for" (as she calls it) the Sharks ... because she LOVES sharks.

Last weekend, she made me change my footy tips from Eels to Dragons (because, YES, she loves dragons) .. needless to say, I dropped two points in my tipping because of it.

She asked if there were any teams called the T-Rexers? Because YES she loves dinosaurs, and in particular, her favourite dinosaur, the T-Rex.

So, despite her Mama trying to convince her to "vote for" the Melbourne Storm, because they live in Melbourne, she has her top three teams in this order ... Sharks  Broncos  Storm.

She is also keen for Tigers, Panthers and Dragons to win.

Truth be told, she doesn't even know what football/NRL is and probably imagines a school of sharks attacking other animals or something. There is no TV in this house, so she would never even see an ad for football.

Yesterday, we discussed attending the football tonight, because Storm and Broncos are playing. She was very keen and her eyes lit up. After some thought, I decided that it might not be a good idea, for a number of reasons.

Her bed time is 7.30pm and the game doesn't even start until after 8pm .. a break in her routine could have disastrous results.

We would be wandering the streets of Melbourne at 10.30pm or later with a bunch of either happy drunks because their team won, or angry drunks because their team lost.

From experience, the language and behaviour of footy fans can leave a lot to be desired and I didn't want to be the one to expose her to that. Not at this tender age.

So I told her a little white lie. I told her that the tickets were all sold out. Sorry Chicklet :) I'm sure there will be opportunities in the future to experience a footy match!

Etihad Stadium is just a 10 minute walk from here. *sigh*

It was a pretty hairy night here, as far as weather goes. 40kph winds and driving rains ... all against the wall of windows of this apartment. The wind whistled through the windows and made loud cracking noises during the night and this morning I woke to the sound of Niagara Falls against the windows.

I honestly thought we were flooding and that a pipe had burst somewhere! What a relief to see the rain pouring down the 'outside' of the windows!

So we made the decision not to leave the house today, except to get coffee mid morning. We enjoyed the usual morning welcome of hugs and delighted laughter. A coffee and an apple juice later, we were snug inside our apartment playing with lego again.

This afternoon, we decided to go searching for a newsagent to stock up on some craft resources. Google told me that the nearest newsagent was about half a kilometre away, but as we walked out of the front door of the building, there, in giant letters across the road, was a NEWSAGENT!

They didn't have a lot on offer, but we got some sticky tape, a glue stick, a sheet of cardboard, some crayon/pens, some Minecraft stickers and a magazine to cut pictures out of, oh and a Kinder Surprise.

Our list of achievements today are ...

  • We designed some ads for our magazine that we are going to create.





  • We wrote a list of reasons why we love each other


  • We started to draw some happy hands.

We have big plans for tomorrow in the way of activities, so I'd best get some sleep!

Nite all.

  

No comments: