Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Park and the Markets

Well, last night was an epic fail on the sleep front!

I slept from about 11.30pm until 2.30am and suddenly, for reasons unknown to me, I was wide awake. There were no thoughts running through my head, but I couldn't find a sleepy cell anywhere in my body onto which I could latch and wind down.

So I came out to the lounge room and watched the world go by from the wall of windows. I watched the cleaners in the office block across from us. I watched the vehicles in the distance as their headlights weaved between the amber street lights. I listened to sirens blaring from all directions .. mostly ambulances. I heard people calling out to each other in the street below.

I don't believe there is ever silence in the city.

Chicklet staggered out of bed at 7.45am and still I had not slept. I definitely required a caffeine hit to kick start my day.

After a shower to freshen up, we visited the coffee shop next door, where Chicklet was greeted with warm happy and friendly hugs from the girls behind the counter who appeared to be super excited to see her!

We ordered an apple juice and a latte and sat at the back of the shop for a little while.  Chicklet guzzled down her juice, had some more conversations with the girls about dragon tails and danced wildly on the floor space in front of the counter until it was time to return home.

We had some serious colouring in time before we decided to head to the park. It was a miserable walk directly into the sun, so after about 30 minutes playing in the park, swinging, seesawing, climbing and running, we took the short walk to the Vic Markets.

First on the list, was a hat for Chicklet. She informed me that all of her hats were still with Dadu in QLD (this may or may not be true), so we bought a blue hat with a stretching brim that can be tightened or stretched to suit the size head that is wearing it.

We then found the fruit and veg section where I bought some tomatoes and onions. Across the road was the deli section where I found some coconut yoghurt and some fresh seafood. I bought some king tiger prawns and some salmon steaks. A Pikachu costume was a 'must' as we traced our footsteps back to where we entered and a beautiful big bunch of fresh sunflowers for $9.


Our hands were very full and we had to stop for a short break on the way home, but we finally made it without incident.

According to my watch, I've only walked 7kms so that gives you an indication of how close everything is to the apartment.

We made some lunch, coloured in some more and then it was 'quiet time'.

Chicklet watched dvds in the bedroom, while I curled up on the couch and napped for over an hour. It was so nice with the sun on my feet and the air conditioner blowing on the rest of my body.

We played Plants VS Zombies all afternoon until it was time to cook dinner. We chatted with Mama, who had finally landed in Vancouver after one cancelled flight and a delayed flight. I chatted with Adoring Husband as I watched the big storm approaching our home on the BOM.

Dinner time, bath time, story time and bed time ... smooth sailing as always.

I'm not sure if I should attempt an early bed time or not. I think I'll wait until I'm feeling sleepy.

Come to think of it, I am feeling a little weary now.

Nite all.

No comments: