Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, March 17, 2017

City Life

To each his own, but the city life is NOT for me.

It's busy, dirty, fast and loud.

I see the smog hanging in the air as I look out over the horizon. I hear the constant howl of sirens. I feel the impersonal rush of people in suits in a hurry. My attention is grabbed every time I hear an impatient driver blast his car horn. I am shocked at how many people toss their litter on the ground in front of them. I am saddened by the number of homeless people sitting on the ground with explanatory signs in front of them. I am astonished at the number of people wearing ear pieces and staring at their phones.

I am, however, heartened by the vast number of nationalities living in this city, in harmony. I am warmed by the friendly welcome of shops owners and workers when I enter their establishment. I am amused at the giggles and grins when people look at Chicklet in her weird and wonderful outfits every day. I love the variety of inexpensive cafes and restaurants that cater to my dietary requirements.

BUT ... I will leave here with a renewed love and respect for my little town and it's quiet streets, friendly community, clean river and beaches, slow lifestyle and old people who have smart phones but don't stare at them all day (because most don't even know how to use them!).

Today, was an interesting day.

Chicklet kindly 'allowed' me to sleep in.

She sleeps in the same room as me, but in her own bed and she has a clock that tells her when she's allowed to wake the adult and make morning noises, which is 7.30am. She gave me an extra 30 mins this morning and woke me with the message "I gave you some extra time this morning Bozzy Wozzy".

I was very grateful for that, because I was sleeping soundly at 7.30am.

We had breakfast and instead of heading next door to the coffee shop, Chicklet asked if we could visit Erin. Erin works at another coffee shop up the road and around a few corners. It took a little while to find it because google maps tricked me a bit.

Even when we were close, Chicklet was insistent that we were on the wrong street!

We eventually found Erin and the cafe called 'Larder Section'.



The coffee was wonderful! Chicklet ordered her usual apple juice, but as I went to leave, she gave me a horrified look and said "We NEVER leave Erin this soon! We can't leave yet!"

So I ordered two more drinks and then decided to have an early lunch of a GF Pulled Pork toastie with the house barbecue sauce and coleslaw. It was absolutely delicious but way too big for my belly!

Erin was a delight and gave Chicklet lots of time and attention.

During this morning adventure, we also caught lots of Pokemon! This street was particularly fruitful for us!

It was about 1pm by the time we arrived home and I made some lunch for Chicklet (who didn't want to eat at the cafe) and we made happy hands over lunch ...


 
We also made some Minecraft sticker pictures until 'quiet time'. Following 'quiet time' we went in search of the 7-11 shop to buy a Kinder Surprise, but we couldn't find it, so we walked to Coles instead.

Friday afternoon is crazy busy in Melbourne and I felt quite stressed by the time we returned home!

Dinner time, bath time, story time and bed time.

What a day.

I have the windows open and the city sounds full of life tonight.

My bed is calling me.

Nite all.
    

No comments: