Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Wipe Out!

I had a list of six things that needed to be done today.

Yes! For the first time in ages, I had a 'to do' list!

How much of my 'to do' list do you think got done?

Well, you are all very clever aren't you? You are correct! Zip!

Adoring Husband phoned me quite early in the day and asked for some help. I got ready fairly quickly, but one of the Psychotic Dogs had a pooping accident and required bathing immediately! As you can imagine, that delayed my arrival at the shop.

I checked the mail first and then stopped at the Butcher to see if my usual order of chicken was ready, which it wasn't.

I walked into the shop and all was quiet. I called out to AH, but there was no response. Then I heard some hammering coming from the Treatment Room, so I waited until it stopped and then called out again, louder. No response.

I stood for a minute or two expecting him to leave the TR, but all was quiet and there was no movement.

I looked across to the older counter and saw 3 bells. A blue bell with a plastic ringer, a brass bell with it's own ringer and a little chrome shop bell so I stepped across and hit the shop bell.

I waited.

Nothing.

The reason I did this, is because AH is VERY jumpy and if he walks around a corner and I'm there, he jumps in fright and grabs his heart, so I didn't want to scare him - especially since he is working with tools!

I rang the bell again, louder.

Nothing.

*sigh*

Just as I was trying to figure out my next move, AH came out of the room. He saw me and said "Oh you snuck in didn't you?"

Um ... well ... no actually lol

Anyway, from there, we went into the training room and he showed me what needed to be done. I had to sand the lumpy putty where the nail holes were filled, so we attached the sandpaper to the electric sander (a very tricky job that one), and then I spent about an hour climbing up and down the ladder and sanding all the lumpy bits.

I also had to sand the architraves and AH suggested that hand sanding with the little manual sander would be easier, so that's what I did, but thought it was pretty stoopid advice!

After the sanding was done, I got the big brush and once again, climbing up and down the ladder, brushed all the dust away from the wall and architraves.

This is what was left when I headed off to 'A Taste of Burrum' to order some fish and chips and salad for lunch.


We sat down to enjoy lunch before getting stuck into the work again.

Two undercoats later, with a roller on a long handle, but a paint tray too narrow for my roller, I was absolutely done!

All that climbing and arm lifting and muscle using and being down on my knees. My stomach muscles are hurting (who knew I even had stomach muscles????!!) and the rest of my body is seizing up. I can't remember the last time I performed manual labour!

So, as you can see, it's only 8.30pm. Adoring Husband has been in bed since 6.30pm! I have to clean the kitchen and do a couple of things before I can climb into bed, but I'll be there as soon as I am capable of doing so!

Tomorrow will be a big day on a working B at the shop with a few people who have generously volunteered their time for the cause. I have also posted a shout out on Facebook with the hope of recruiting some more help. There is a LOT to do.

So I'm off.

Nite all.

No comments: