Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Australia's Got Talent

I posted this on Facebook and it was the  highlight of my day ...

*** Weirdest thing just happened ... you know how all of you who know me have told me, at some time, to shut up when I sing? Yes, pretty much every single one of you!

Well ... I was singing a Carole King song in the shop this morning while two ladies were browsing.

I was thinking to myself "Poor things .. but it's my shop and it's the price you pay for walking through the door."

One of them walked up to the counter and looked me straight in the eye. She said "You have a beautiful tone when you sing. Even when you hum, it sounds lovely!"

I looked at her and waited for the punch line and she could see the disbelief in my eyes, so she said "I'm serious!"

She made my day - which is why I'm taking this moment to brag.

Thank you very much (in my best Elvis Presley voice)***

The reason I make such a big deal of this is because I KNOW I have a terrible singing voice. I recorded myself singing "I Honestly Love You" when I was a teenager. Until I heard that recording, I believed that I could sing.

I remember the devastating disappointment when I realised that I was tone deaf and would never be a famous singing star!

Many people, during my life, have laughed hysterically at my singing.

Many people have told me to 'not give up my day job' when listening to my singing.

Even Adoring Husband, who loves me, has asked me to NOT sing.

This is why I make such a big deal of today's experience with the lovely lady who told me I have a beautiful tone.

Aside from that, for the first time, I've signed up a male to my next photography workshop. There should actually be two or three males in this class, so that will be interesting ... and very different.

It was a good day in the shop, with quite a few new customers ... and still the locals' catch cry "I didn't know you were here" is echoing in my ears.

I made an appointment for a third pool quote. This will be a concrete pool, instead of fibreglass, and they're coming to see us on Saturday afternoon. A decision will be made very soon after that.

Now I'm going to watch the second half of the footy between my team and Adoring Husband's team. Fingers crossed that my team wins!




Nite all.

No comments: