Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Stormy Weather


That’s courageous!

It was another quiet day in the shop, although I did pass my happy minimum this time.

The weather was a bit volatile and stormy so the thunder and rain might have kept lots of people indoors.

There was no meditation this morning because the big rains west of Childers made the roads too dangerous for The Gypsy to drive in.

That suited me.

There will only be one more meditation class before I close the shop.

One more art class.

No more orders.

One big sale.

I started doing inventory today. That was interesting 🧐 Stock + furniture and fittings.

I also selected my favourite jewellery pieces from the cabinet!

Adoring Husband and I arrived home just before the big rain hit and it was lovely sitting in the lounge room listening to the heavy rain on the tin roof. It lasted a couple of hours and the pool looked like it might overflow!

Bangers and mash for AH’s dinner.

The good shows on TV are all over so there’s no trash to watch.

Instead, I read a whole stack of ‘good Samaritan’ stories. I was feelin’ good! Here are a couple of them …

1.  At the beginning of the pandemic, I was volunteering at a local pizza shop to distribute slices to kids who otherwise couldn't get fed because the schools were shutdown.

There was a woman with 3 kids that came by every few days to get slices. Turns out the father had died unexpectedly right before the pandemic started and they lost their house because of the slumlord they were renting from.

The mother lost her job because she had no one to watch the kids. They were living in their minivan and things were bad for them.

They were so nice and grateful, but ashamed when they'd come by to get slices that I genuinely felt for them.

I had lost my job and got a pretty decent windfall of 2 months worth of unemployment and the CARES Act at once. My landlord had a few properties open and is a close friend, so I got in touch with him and we worked out me paying their security deposit and the first 2 months of rent and he'd cover their utilities.

I gave her his number and said he might be able to help and they moved in the next day. They've been there ever since and are doing extremely well now.

2.  When I was 19 I needed blood work done and it was super icy out. I’d just finished and was getting ready to leave when two elderly ladies came in. They commented on how slippery it was and if the clinic had anyone to help them walk back to their car.

They were told no, so I sat back down and waited. Half an hour later they went in and the receptionist told me I could leave, I was done. I told her "I know" and sat there.

When the ladies came out they looked a little scared to walk outside and I stood up and said I’d heard them ask for help and I would help them to their car.

I walked the ladies one at a time, letting them hold me for support as I shuffled us to their car. Then, after they were both safely inside, I scraped the ice off their car so they could leave.

They offered me money, but I refused and just wished them safe travels.

After they left I went to my own car, where I proceeded to fall on my butt fives times.

The motivator sent me this to end my day on a pretty great note …


Nite all.


No comments: