Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Puppy Love

Excess deaths, lack of data


Puppy love.

Harley is pretty amazing.

Adoring Husband left the kitchen light on when he went to bed last night, so when Harley opened his eyes at 1.30am, he thought it was time to get up. He gave a little whine, so I got up, saw the light on, took Harley outside to pee, turned the lights out and put him back to bed.

When I closed my bedroom door, he whimpered so I walked out, pet his head and said “Stay here. It’s still bed time.”

Not another sound.

He woke at 4am but I’m certain he only woke because not so psychotic dog, Colli, was shrieking to be let out for her morning toileting, otherwise I’m sure he’d have slept longer.

We went outside at 4am and he did all of his business, explored the yard for a bit, had a drink and at 5am I gave him some raw mince. He very happily played with his toys outside until I put him back in his bed at 5.15am and I too returned to bed.

We were woken by AH and BGWLBH returning from their morning walk so I got up again at 6am and made myself breakfast and a cup of tea.

Today was coffee morning with the art girls and the first outing for Harley.

Lots of ‘firsts’ - first outing, first meeting with new people, first meeting with other dogs, first time riding in the trike, first time wearing a harness and first time on a leash.

He rode very well in the basket on the back of my trike - not perfect yet - all the way to the Lions Park and back.

While we were at the park, he was very well behaved getting pats and cuddles from all the ladies. He met two other dogs, both poodles and he was a perfect gentleman.

He was very relaxed and happy the whole time. I felt very proud of him.

We were home by 11am but had to go out again to deliver money to the Happy Hippy for eggs that she provided this morning. I forgot to take money to the park.

He was excellent in the car and friendly to everyone who wanted to Pat him.

At home, I cut up a leftover steak for his lunch and made my own lunch.

He plonked himself under the dining table and slept for a solid 2 hours.

When he woke, he took himself outside to toilet and played with his toys both outside and inside.

Whenever he tries to chew something he shouldn’t (like the furniture) I toss one of his toys nearby and he’s immediately distracted and chooses to play and chew on the toy instead.

He already recognises my angry sound and when I make it, he immediately stops what he’s doing and moves away. I made it three times today. Once when he was chewing a plant, once when he tried to eat the bark chips from under the compost bin and once when he tried to bounce on poor unsuspecting Colli.

He had another hour long nap this afternoon - as did I while laying on the couch!

While I cooked dinner he ate some plain yoghurt and some kibble, played with his toys outside, sat at the end of the kitchen watching me and wagging his tail and then plonked himself next to the couch to nap some more while we ate dinner.

After dinner we played for a while then he came onto the couch for a while. At 7.30pm I put him to bed and within ten minutes he was sound asleep again - that’s where he still is.

I’m very impressed with my little man. Such a sweetie.

As good as he is, it’s very tiring for me, being alert to where he is at all times and meeting his needs, attempting to train him in the small things and keeping him out of trouble. Still, that IS what I signed up for!

Now I’m very tired and I need to catch up on some sleep.




Nite all.

No comments: