Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Scaryborough

Today, Maryborough lived up to its AKA - Scaryborough name.

Every person that we came across was a little left of centre and we weren’t sure whether we were in a safe space.

From elderly women who looked and sounded like they were ice addicts to staggering elderly men who may have just downed a box of red wine to carloads of loud, foul mouthed young men with no regard for anyone but themselves to teenagers on skateboards who looked like they might like to knock over and mug a couple of older women to two police cars screeching to a halt out the front of a bank and their occupants rushing inside - we thought it must have been a hold up!

The list goes on.

We entered a jewellers to ask the price of a beautiful baroque pearl bracelet in the window (expecting it to be around $299) to discover it was $699!

There was a beautiful old shop filled with lead light lamps, screens, mobiles and other gorgeous pieces all made by the male owner of the shop. BGWLBH purchased an item that I admired to put away for Christmas. One of the lamps that I really loved was $500. As with the baroque pearl bracelet, it remained unsold in the shop.

Lincraft and the local art shop received some of our money, as did a little coffee shop where we savoured delicious coffee.

We browsed the real estate windows admiring some lovely old Queenslanders that, with a little work and TLC, would look spectacular.

I was keen to visit Gatakers Artspace but we were disappointed to discover it doesn’t open on Mondays so instead we walked across the road to check out the community art centre. There was displayed there, both beautiful art work with reasonable price tags and some very questionable pieces asking absurd prices.

We drove through some back streets to admire some of the old Queenslanders for which Maryborough is quite famous.

It was an interesting and quite enjoyable few hours spent in a town to which we usually only make rushed visits.

We also drove back to The Bay to visit Nana’s Pantry, Coles and the newsagent before heading home.

Harley was happy to see us home.

It’s now after midnight so I’m off to sleep.



Nite all.

No comments: