Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, December 15, 2023

Heart Bruising

It has been a day full of tears and sadness.

Actually, the first half of the day was calm and relaxing.

At 1pm I rode my trike to the Welsh Wonder’s house. Her amazing husband passed away seven weeks ago and I had not made contact, nor had I attended his funeral. This visit was long overdue and I was feeling both guilty and remorseful.

I spent three hours with her.

She needed someone.

She has needed someone for the last seven weeks.

It was an incredibly emotional afternoon. Many, many tears were shed. Stories were told. Memories were shared. Drinks were drunk. Promises were made.

I left there feeling completely drained.

Completely drained.

I arrived home with ten minutes to spare before the start of the streamed funeral of Vegan Chickie’s good friend in Perth.

I met him for the first time twenty years ago and again at Vegan Chickie’s first wedding. We were friends on Facebook and I watched him grow from a young adult with plans and goals, to a man with a very successful design career, a loving father to twin boys and nurtured a wonderful relationship with his husband whom he married not that long ago.

There were approximately 200 people in attendance at this funeral and another 200 streaming. He was highly respected in his field and well loved by his friends and family, which was evident in the beautiful words spoken by those strong enough and brave enough to stand up and speak.

I was sobbing from the minute it started and struggled to gain control for the first thirty minutes. I watched his young boys sitting directly in front of the coffin in the front row wiping their eyes as they cried and I wept for the fact that they would live without this amazing example of a human for the rest of their lives.

I cried for Vegan Chickie who lost a close friend of 22 years and for whom she cared so deeply.

The service lasted for just over an hour.

It was heart breaking. My eyes were stinging and puffy. My voice was gravelly. It took all my effort to eat 3 chicken nibbles for dinner and I fell asleep on the couch directly after.

I’ve cried more today than I have in the last five years and I’m exhausted.

Now I need to sleep. 

Nite all.

No comments: