Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Clever little house-husband!

Adoring Husband is currently on his hands and knees on the lounge room carpet with a wet rag and an iron!

We have moved the pool table (which only gets used at parties) out to the shed for the time being and the dining table has moved from the lounge room to the family/kitchen area, where the pool table was previously.

The carpet in the lounge room has marks indented into it from where the dining table has been positioned for almost 3 years.

So, sometime in his life, somebody has taught Adoring Husband this little trick that takes the indents out of the carpet!!

It's quite amazing!  I've never seen it done before, and you can't even tell that a table was ever there!

When Adoring Husband sets his mind to a new idea, it becomes an obsession.

A couple of examples ... when we lived in Sydney, he converted half of the double garage in the back yard to an art work studio for me.  He did it all himself and it took about six weeks from beginning to end.

He built a bedroom at the back of the studio as a guest room, a little kitchenette at one end of the studio room, laid carpet in the bedroom and tiles in the studio room, gyprocked the walls and painted them.  He installed floor to ceiling glass sliding doors at the front.  It was a beautiful area.

However, he was so obsessed, he would get up in the mornings at about 7am and go straight outside to start work. Not once would he even think about food, so he would go without breakfast and lunch unless I took it out to him or called him inside to eat.

He forgot that there was a world around him (or a wife or animals or friends)  He continually lost his keys, mobile phone, wallet and glasses and the only time he left the work area, was when he needed a tool or piece of equipment and had to drive to the hardware store (Bunnings actually!) to get it.

Don't get me wrong, he did an amazing job, but he was obsessed from start to finish!

Since we've moved to Queensland, he has had a few small obsessions like creating the six vegetable gardens in the back yard,  landscaping the side garden, lining the walls and building the shelving in the shed,  building the chook pen out the back, landscaping the front garden and more recently setting up his boat for safely fishing outside the river .

His new obsession has now become apparent.

Vegan Chickie, Bare-chested Chef and Chicklet are moving back to Australia and will be staying here for a period of time until they can get back on their feet and get their own place.

Adoring Husband is now obsessed about making the house and bedrooms as spacious and as comfortable as possible for us all for the duration.

Furniture is being moved and bedrooms rearranged.

He has that look in his eye that says "I'm a man on a mission, get out of my way!"

All I can think is "Be afraid.  Be very afraid"

Thank goodness, when he gets these obsessions, he doesn't involve me and does almost everything himself!

He really just wants everyone to be happy.  I'm lucky to have such a clever little house-husband!

No comments: