Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nonfiction/Reality v Fiction/Fantasy

Obviously, anything that I say here is anecdotal and based on my own personal experiences.  Your experiences, of course, may be very different!

I've talked previously about my enjoyment of Reality TV and how I like to observe real people reacting and responding to the unusual or unfamiliar situations in which they are placed.

I think I could have been a good observer for anecdotal research.  I'm not a 'facts' girl.  The information between the facts is much more interesting to me.  If my interest is piqued, I can be quite intuitive and sensitive to information that others miss.

A favourite pastime of mine is sitting quietly for hours in the corner at a party,  in a busy airport terminal,  or even at night in a club or pub and just observing the people.  Each individual is incredibly intriguing the way they interact with the different people they meet.

If you put ME in a new situation with a large group of people, I will be very quiet, hold myself back, observe everybody, figure out where I fit in with the group and then slowly slide into the spot where I think I fit.

Depending on the group, I could be a leader or a follower, a confidante or a clown, an analyser or a teacher - one of many different roles - but I can adapt to most roles (good adapting skills gained when changing schools seventeen times in my childhood - see post dated March 9th).

Most people I know, already have a 'role' imprinted in their 'being' and enter a group to fill that role.  If the role is already filled by someone else, then they soon leave the group and subconsciously go looking for new groups until they fit somewhere.

But once again I digress .... I do that a lot don't I?!

So, you see, I am a people analyser and I yearn to understand humans and why they do the things that they do.  They intrigue me and psychiatry would have been an interesting career for me if the study didn't involve so many facts!

Anyway, Adoring Husband, Number One Son, and most males that I know are very much into Fiction/Fantasy.  They have no time for Reality TV and get very bored observing people at parties, airports or clubs.

In those situations, they either want to disappear into a Fiction/Fantasy book or get involved in the party by mingling, dancing, drinking, laughing and 'being'.  Automatically filling their subconscious roles, not noticing other people's roles and not giving a rat's about roles.

Adoring Husband is almost obsessed with Star Trek, 'V', Dr Who, Star Wars etc.  He watches them religiously and loves to get lost in the weird and wonderful fantasy world of the characters.

These shows bore me to tears (although I did quite enjoy the hilarious acting prowess of David Tennant in the last Dr Who series).

I just can't understand where the interest lies in a story line that is not possible and that could never happen in real life.  I would, however,  be interested to meet the person who wrote the story and analyse his/her mind!

So, there in itself, is another analytical dilemna for me to study and question.  Why does he like Fantasy and why do I like Reality?  At what point in our lives was that decision made in our brains?  How can we be compatible, when we are drawn to such different genres?

I have my own theories of course.  Adoring Husband is a very complex and unusual (and by 'unusual', I mean 'strange' lol) individual and I know he will provide years of analytical heaven for me ... but don't get me started!

While I've been writing this, I've discovered that Fantasy really does have a role in my life, because Adoring Husband has been deeply involved in an episode of 'V' that he recorded earlier, and has left me in peace to write!  Hah!

I guess this proves that it doesn't have to be Reality v Fantasy and the two can be compatible after all!!

No comments: