Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Little Gnome!

The man I spoke about in my 'Brief Note of Sadness' post a couple of weeks ago, is doing ok.

Seventy seven years of age on April Fool's day!

My little gnome (a name given to him by one of his lady friend's daughters) from the boat ramp is having a birthday today!

He hasn't been down to the boat ramp since he came out of hospital because he has a sore ankle and weakness in one arm which prevents him from driving or walking.  I have been to visit him three times but I pedalled straight past because he had numerous visitors already there.

He is a well liked, respected and popular man in town.

Many ladies in town have baked cakes, cookies, casseroles and soups and delivered to his doorstep.  His grandson bought a dozen containers of takeaway Chinese food to freeze.  A roster of ladies have been to his house to clean, cut his toe nails, wash and iron.  Mates have driven him to appointments and dropped in at various times of the day and evening to keep him company and check that he has everything that he needs.

This is what I absolutely love about this community.  When the people see somebody struggling, they all move as one to either fix it or at the very least, ease the pain.  They step in and provide whatever is needed and they wrap their combined arms around the family or person in need and give them a massive hug filled with warmth and love.

Another single parent family in town, over a year ago, almost lost their 14 yr old son and brother when his heart collapsed.  He was placed on top of the emergency donor list and was kept alive by machines until a donor heart was found.  This required months of hospitalisation in Melbourne (2000 kms away), which in turn, required the added costs of transport and accommodation for his mother.

She had three other children to care for, as well as pets, a house and a local job.

The community gathered together and raised funds to help towards the financial burden this family was carrying.  They formed a roster of people to fill the mother's job, so that she would continue to get her wage and so that her job would still be waiting for her upon her return.

People stepped in to care for their pets, mow their lawns and maintain the home.  They did this for a year while the boy recovered from this very serious condition.

How amazing is that!?  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

So, back to the birthday boy... I know that the ladies are all making cakes and slices and cookies and birthday comfort food for him today, so, to counteract all that processed sugar, I decided to put together a big box of fruit, nuts and plain popcorn for him to munch on over the next few days.

I found a shiny green box, lined it with yellow tissue paper, filled it with fresh fruit, bags of sultanas and nuts and packets of microwave popcorn.  I wrapped it in shiny clear plastic, tied it with yellow ribbon and then tied two big green and gold 'Happy Birthday' balloons to it.

By the time I delivered it to his doorstep at nine o'clock this morning, he'd already had eight visitors and three phone calls.  He was exhausted!  While I was there, his x-wife and her partner arrived (they are all friends) with a birthday cake and gifts.

A group of us are taking him out for dinner tonight to the local Bowls Club and I'm wondering if he is going to have the energy left to attend his own birthday dinner!!

Anyway, he is doing ok.  He looks tired.  He needs to get out in the fresh air and he needs a good feed of fresh vegetables!  I'll work on that.

Happy Birthday my Little Gnome :o)  

  

No comments: