Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Current Favourite Recipe

Having recently changed my diet to vegetarian, I've been trying lots of different recipes and also experimenting with old recipes.  I've been using this one a lot lately and I've passed it on to many other people who are all raving about it.

It can be a great vegetarian meal.  It's safe for Coeliacs.  Men (and we know how fussy men are about vegetables!) really love it.  If you are a meat lover, this is great to have as a side dish with any roast meat.  The really great thing is that you don't have to stand over it or spend time tending to it.  You can go off and do something else while it cooks (such as writing a new blog post!).

So for any of you interested, here is the recipe.  I'm sorry that I don't have a photo to go with it, but I will add a photo at a later date ... after the fabulous new camera arrives!!

Honey Roasted Vegetables


2     large potatoes
1/2  butternut pumpkin
1/2  parsnip
1     turnip
1/2  sweet potato
1     carrot
2     onions
1     red capsicum
1     punnet of cherry tomatoes
1     head of garlic
2     chillies
2     T honey
1/2  Lemon
       Salt and pepper to taste
       Drizzle of olive oil

  1. Peel the potatoes, pumpkin, parsnip, turnip, sweet potato, carrot and onions.
  2. Cut them into chunky bite sized pieces.
  3. Drizzle a little oil into the bottom of a large baking dish.
  4. Toss all of the chopped veggies into the pan.
  5. Separate the cloves of garlic and toss them in the pan (unpeeled), along with the cherry tomatoes.
  6. Cut the capsicum into chunks, finely chop the chillies and add them to the veggies.
  7. Season with salt and pepper and give them a stir.
  8. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of honey over the veggies and give them another toss.
  9. Put the baking dish into the oven at 180 - 200 degrees for 40 minutes.
  10. Remove the baking dish from the oven.  Stir the veggies and return to the oven for 30 mins.
  11. Squeeze the juice of about half a lemon over the veggies, stir and serve.

 ********

The three rules that apply to this fabulous recipe:  

1   Very healthy.  
2   Very delicious.  
3   Very easy.

Bon Appetit!!

No comments: