Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Chant for Lleyton!

Well!  Here I am!!  It's after midnight and still awake watching Wimbledon!!!

Watching Lleyton Hewitt play Soderling and he has won the first two sets so far.

Hewitt is one of my favourites and I've been watching and supporting him since he was about 16 yrs of age.  I find it difficult to believe that he is now 30!

He is not everybody's cup of tea because he isn't as humble as some, but being smaller than the average tennis player, he has had to fight hard in his career and I admire that in him.

He plays tennis with the same fight and determination as I used in my sporting life.

While I never came close to Lleyton's level of achievements, some of my sporting wins brought me the greatest satisfaction just for the 'never-say-die' attitude that I had at the time.

Anyway, the important thing for me is that it's almost 12.30am and I am still awake!  I admit that I did have a little doze there during the first set, but I'm back, awake, alive and alert!

My photos today are of some bird life around town and the first is of a pelican who was playing around near the Seat of Knowledge this morning.



The second photo is of some Tawny Frogmouths that like to spend time in a tree in the Lion's Park by the river.  Sometimes there are four of them sitting in the tree.



I attempted to get a photo of a Cormorant that has been hanging around the newly formed lake since the floods, but I can't get close enough before he flies away and I don't have the right lens yet for my camera to take a good photo from a distance (working on that).

Lleyton has just lost the third set ... I have a feeling that it's going to be long night!

I really love this time of night when everybody else, in my part of the world, is asleep.  It's all quiet outside, except for the occasional Plover calling in the distance, and it's peaceful and tranquil.

It's quite chilly and I'm rugged up in my warm fluffy dressing gown and slippers.  Such a good look!

The chant in my head goes like this ...

Come on Lleyton, let's go!
Come on Lleyton, let's go!
Come on Hewitt, you can do it!
Come on Lleyton, let's go!

Does that count for number forty two on my 'fifty two things to do before I turn fifty two' list?

42.  Write a poem?

Probably not huh?

Nite all!

No comments: