Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Prawn Fever

A successful night at the Bowls Club tonight.

This past month has been very busy in our town, on the river and out to sea.  People have been catching bucket loads of prawns.

Apparently, by law, the allowable limit is ten kilos of prawns per person in a boat.

The authorities have been working along the beaches with binoculars and noting down the registration numbers of the boats that are out catching prawns.

Word has it that the authorities will be visiting the homes of the owners of these boats to make sure they don't have more than their allowance of ten kilos of prawns in their fridges or freezers.

Our neighbour across the road gave us two kilos of prawns on Tuesday morning that he had caught on Monday.

Another neighbour further down the street, phoned to offer us more prawns, which we gracefully declined.

The streets of our town have been lined with cars and boat trailers as people travel from far and wide to catch the apparent abundance of prawns on offer at the moment.

I hear that the prawns have been here in abundance since the full moon and they are expected to disappear again by the next full moon.

Anyway, after all that, Adoring Husband and I won TWO prawn trays in the raffles at the Bowls Club tonight!!  Unfortunately, they are frozen and not fresh, so we couldn't even munch on them when we arrived home from the club.

I do love to eat prawns ... but it's possible to have too much of a good thing!

I am proud to announce that I stayed awake until 2.30am this morning watching Lleyton Hewitt play his match at Wimbledon.

Sadly, he was defeated in five sets.  He put up a good fight, however, Soderling is seeded fifth for the tournament and Lleyton has slipped to something like 130th in the world, so his chances of winning were very slim.

I'm pleased that I watched it, but I didn't wake up til after eight o'clock this morning and I am feeling decidedly weary now, at only 9.27pm!

I'm willing to bet that I'll be sound asleep before 10.30pm!!

Dreaming of prawn fever :)

Nite all :)

No comments: