Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, November 24, 2011

14 Years Already

Today is the fourteenth anniversary of my Father's death.

Fourteen years ago today, my family and I had to make the decision to turn off my father's life support.

The decision was not a difficult one, because all of his organs had shut down, after his brown snake bite had been incorrectly treated, at the Gladstone Hospital.

My father had applied the correct first-aid to his snake bite wound, which was confirmed by the ambulance paramedics who met him halfway to the hospital.

When he arrived at the hospital, it was like a comedy of errors, from the second he was wheeled through their door.

He knew, after the staff's first mistake, that he was going to die.  He told my mother as much.  Such was the enormity of that first mistake.

The hospital staff told my mother not to worry because they had never lost a snake bite victim.

He was, after more mistakes, put into an induced coma and flown to Royal Brisbane Hospital.

He never woke from that coma and two weeks after he was bitten, we made the decision to let him go.

He was 57 years of age.

After a lengthy court case, my mother was paid a large compensation payment, after it was proved that he had died as a result of the hospital staff incorrectly treating him.

It didn't bring him back and it didn't take away her anger, but it did allow her to have a comfortable lifestyle during the eight years that she lived after his death.

One of the conditions of that compensation settlement was that Mum wasn't allowed to discuss the case with the media or speak publicly about it.

However, 'I' can tell you ... don't go to the Gladstone Base Hospital if you are bitten by a brown snake!

I think we will always feel a little bit angry about the unnecessary loss of our Dad.

There has been too much sadness in my blog over the last month, so I would like to end this post on a more happy note.

I went to visit the original three baby owls, whose photos I posted here a few weeks ago and they are almost all grown up!

The third baby was further along the branch pretending to be just that .. a branch!  They are growing so fast!
After I left there, I headed to Cheelii Lagoon and discovered a little hidden patch of bank where many species of bird were congregating.

There were Heron, Spoonbills, Cormorants, Ducks, Water Fowl and Ibis.  They were the birds that I could see.  There were smaller birds but I couldn't determine what they were from that distance.

Cheelii Lagoon and a little hidden pocket of birdlife.
It was very very hot today and the weather bureau has promised rain and storms for days now, but they never eventuate.  It just gets hotter!

I'm ok in the air conditioned comfort of the house, but tomorrow is the big trip to Maryborough and it's always hotter there by a couple of degrees.

We have survived the fourteenth anniversary and I can't believe it's been that long.  I wonder how he would have felt about being a great grandfather?

Wish me luck for tomorrow!

Nite all.    

No comments: