Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

But Wait! There's More!

My morning with the camera was quite disappointing today.

The weather was looking ominous and the low dark clouds were scuttling by, threatening to dump their contents, but only leaving a few scattered droplets before disappearing from sight and making way for new storm clouds.

There were some beautiful black Storm Birds (aka Common Koels) flying around in the giant fig trees that line the river near the caravan park, but it was difficult to get a clear shot.

I love their amazing red eyes.
This is the male.  The female is speckled black and white with stripes and spots.  I may have posted a photo of a female on here a few weeks ago.

After that, I found a spot where I could hear all sorts of birds in the bushes.  There were the usual Wattle Birds making a racket and Lorikeets high in the trees, Noisy Miners that are a dime a dozen and Peewees whistling loudly, as well as two different types of doves trying to coo louder than the other birds.

Through all of that noise, I could just make out a soft unfamiliar whistle.  The other birds were making so much noise, it was impossible for me to make out which direction the whistle was coming from and although I stayed there for more than thirty minutes, I couldn't find the bird that was making that new noise.

I left there feeling very frustrated!  But I will return over the next few days and hopefully have some success.

In the distance, I saw Adoring Husband leaving town towing his golf buggy behind him (He played golf at a very soggy Howard Golf Course today), so I knew I had some time to play with my camera some more.

I found lots of puddles all over town for my challenge photo 'reflections in puddles' and even though I took a lot of photos of puddles and reflections, none of them were very interesting so I ended up deleting them.

There was no active bird life at my lagoon and even the lilies were all facing away from me as they faced the direction of the sun.

So I returned home feeling somewhat dejected and after going through all of my photos for the day, felt very disappointed when I had to delete almost all of them.

I decided, instead, to play with yesterday's photos to see what I could come up with.

This little guy worked really hard to turn himself upside-down to sleep.
Just one tree holding quite a few Flying Foxes from the colony
And finally, the photo that completely brightened my day and made me forget about all the bad photos before it ...
Baby Smiles - Photo 9 of 104
I love this one and included it in my challenge photos :D  Isn't she glorious?

Time for me to go watch the end of the Australian Open Final.  Djokovic V Nadal.  It could be a long night!

Nite all.

  

No comments: