Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, February 3, 2012

A Few Best Men

If there is one movie you should avoid this season, it's the Australian comedy "A Few Best Men".

When I go to see an Australian movie at the cinemas, I go with low expectations.  That way, it doesn't take much to surprise me, and I often end up enjoying the movie much more than expected.  'Red Dog' is a perfect example of that.

So today, there were only two movies that I was willing to see.  One was 'Descendants' with George Clooney and the other was 'A Few Best Men' because Adoring Husband had seen an interview about it and said he'd laughed all the way through it.

I was embarrassed by Olivia Newton John and in my opinion, Rebel Wilson was the only passable female in the entire movie and I'm really stretching it to give her that compliment.

Kris Marshall was great in his role as Tom (I also thought he was great in 'Love Actually' as Colin Frissell).

Xavier Samuel was 'average' and I kept waiting for the 'Twilight' cast to appear (he played a new vampire in 'Eclipse', which is the third movie in the Twilight series).

The most memorable character was Ramsy the ram.  He stole the show.

So the next movie I see will be 'The Descendants' with George Clooney.  I've been trying to get to that one for about a month now.  Monday might be the day to do it.

After we left the cinema, we went to the jewellers in Stocklands to have the battery replaced in my watch.

It was going to take thirty minutes, so Adoring Husband and I decided to grab some lunch and a coffee from Jamaica Blue.

Adoring Husband ordered a tandoori chicken sandwich and I ordered zucchini and bacon fritters.  They toasted his sandwich, which was full of lettuce, so he ended up with a soggy mess.  My fritters tasted like clag glue.  I literally spat the first mouthful out and didn't eat any more of my meal.

I took a pen out of my handbag and wrote a little message on my napkin, which I placed, face up, on top of my plate.  I wrote '$29 for lunch and this tasted like glue'.

Adoring Husband was horrified and he skulled his coffee so that we wouldn't be sitting at the table when they came to clear it!

You may think that I should have just complained to the manager or asked for my money back, but the manager of this place is so scary that two of their machinery servicemen that I know are scared of her and call her nasty names behind her back.

She is certainly not approachable, nor does she display friendly or happy customer service skills!

We won't eat there again.  It's not the first time the food has been substandard, but at least it has been edible before today.

So, as you can tell, the day has not been a huge success.  Not that I care THAT much.  I'd be very happy if days like today were the worst days I ever had to deal with!

I did get to have a short ride this morning before we went out.

Clouds - Photo 19 of 104
Another shot for my 104 challenge.  It may be replaced at a later date by more spectacular clouds because I'm not entirely happy with this one.

Adoring Husband is very excited because his NRL team, Cronulla Sharks, defeated Manly in the pre-season warm up game tonight.  If he's happy, I'm happy :D

We are currently watching Australia V India 20/20 cricket match.  It's not looking good for Australia at this stage, but you just never know!

I think they need my support, so I'd best go give it to them.

Nite all.

 

No comments: