Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day two - the journey continues

I am exhausted!

Day two, 8.35pm at night and I am ready for bed ... actually, I am already sitting up in bed as I type this.

We stayed in Canowindra last night in the Riverview Motel, which did NOT have a view of the river and we had a delicious dinner at the Canowindra RSL.

We left town bright and early this morning.  We had set our alarm for 7am, but we were both awake at 6am, so we were packed and in the car by 7am and heading out of town towards Orange where we would find, none other than, Maccas, for breakfast!

Just as we headed out of town, we came over a rise and all the morning mist was floating over the hills and valleys, so we stopped to get some photos.  While we were there, in the distance, a hot air balloon floated up from behind a hill!


What a fabulous sight!  What a way to start the day!

We drove on to Orange, taking a few more lovely misty shots along the way (which I will post later when I have more time).

After breakfast, we were driving through Molong and came across this interesting place with a sign out the front that read 'Antiques and Collectibles.  Come in for a browse.'

So we did.

I can't wait to show you all of the photos that I took here.  Somebody had made huge detailed pieces of art out of all the scrap metal and bits and pieces from the yard - which must have been at least 2 acres, possibly 3 acres in size.

The man was opening up as we arrived, so I walked through the front of the grounds to the building where he opened a huge door into a giant shed which was absolutely full of everything you can imagine, from iron kettles, flags, signs, car parts, furniture, crockery, cutlery, bottles, china, salt and pepper shakers, glass cabinets, suitcases, lamps, saddles, hubcaps, tools, silverware, toys, ties, chains ... oh you name it, he had it!!

I walked through the shed to the doors he was opening at the back and stood there absolutely awe-struck!

I looked to the left ...


and then I looked to the right ...


I can't wait to show you all the other photos that I took, but they will have to wait for another day.

Amazing stuff.

Not long out of Molong and we came across another strange and wonderful sight.

What looked like a graveyard for planes, trains and trams from all different eras.



Such strange things you see on the back roads in rural NSW.

Soon after that, I desperately needed to use the bathroom ... and I mean desperately!  There had been no signs for rest areas and the next town was 46 kms away.  I couldn't wait that long.

Luckily, Wilbur-Herbert had nicked some toilet paper from the motel that we'd stayed at, so after much hilarity at my expense and quite a few swear words from me, BGWLBH turned into a side road and dropped me off at a bit of a culvit, where I was hidden from the highway.

She drove away up over the hill, to give me some privacy and I said that I would text her when I was ready.

Still feeling very vulnerable to the world, I took a deep breath, slid my jeans down and squatted in the bushes to do my busness.

No sooner had I done that, when a bloody council ute turned off the highway and drove down the road past me.  I don't know how many were in the ute, or if they even saw me.

I couldn't even look up.  I closed my eyes as he drove past, muttering to myself "Oh my god!  I can't believe this!  I can't believe this!"  Many swear words passed my lips in horror and embarrassment.

I quickly rearranged myself and sent BGWLBH a text and she appeared rather quickly over the hill to pick me up.

I shrieked to her what had happened and we squealed and laughed and swore and cringed as we swung back onto the highway and drove for two kilometres when we suddenly came across a very neat, solar powered, clean looking rest area with ... you guessed it ... public toilets!!!

UGH!!

Even worse ... another 5 kilometres further up the road was a similar set-up!!

Could not believe it!!

I guess every holiday has to have a story doesn't it?!

My last photo for tonight is Wilbur-Herbert, who claimed the double bed as soon as we arrived in Coonabarabran.


We plan on staying here for two nights and will be hiking in the Warrabungles tomorrow and star gazing tomorrow night.

Right now, I want to be gazing at the back of my eyelids.

Nite all.

No comments: