Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day Three - Wilbur Herbert's day

We arrived in Coonabarabran late yesterday afternoon ...


Wilbur-Herbert needed to rest up ready for the Warrumbungles tomorrow!
We took our time getting ready this morning, after a disappointing and expensive breakfast from the motel kitchen.  I guess we have learned our lesson the hard way there.

Before we headed off to the Warrumbungles, we booked in for an extra night in the motel and phoned to book our star gazing evening at one of the observatories in town.

Wilbur Herbert was so excited that he wouldn't even allow us to stop and take his photo to start the day.



We had a beautiful day for it, though it was bitterly cold up on the mountain - due to strong cold winds.

The observatory was disappointing.  We couldn't get close to anything of interest.



Maybe boys would find it more interesting than me?

We left here and found our way to the walking tracks that led to the lookouts.




There were kangaroos and beautiful yellow wildflowers.  Signs everywhere indicating that koala were in the area, but I searched the trees without success.

After we decided that we'd had enough walking and that we were hungry and ready for a late lunch, we slowly drove back down the mountain so that we could take photos of all the strange and wonderful letterboxes along the way.

Here are a few of them ...




Wilbur-Herbert enjoyed the letterboxes the best.

Finally, there has been a series of signs which I intend showing you in order one day on here, but this is the one that tickled our fancy today.


We were booked in for a star-gazing night tonight.  This amateur astronomer has four different sized powerful telescopes and he even allows you to take photos through the telescopes of the different planets!

We were excited about this because every other time that we've been here, there has been thick cloud cover, which, of course, obstructs a clear view.

Our booking was for 7pm and at 4.30pm, the clouds began to gather above us ... we got the phone call at 6pm from Peter advising that the evening had to be cancelled due to the heavy cloud.

Sadly, we were duped by the cloud yet again!

There are many, many photos yet to be posted, but I think many will have to wait til the journey is over, because I can't keep up with them while we are on the road.  They will filter through in the coming weeks.

Tomorrow, we recommence our Rock Star Road Trip, so I'd best get some sleep.

Nite all.


No comments: