Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, May 14, 2012

Back roads rock!

Instead of driving the boring route to Moree, we decided to take the back road to Inverell.

It was a good choice.

What beautiful countryside we have in Australia, if you just get off the highways and freeways.

The roads, of course, are not as good, but there is MUCH LESS traffic on them and if you are really looking at Australia, you don't have to drive at 100kmh!

We like to drive slowly and really see everything.  Take an unexpected side road and find landscape treasures around every corner.

We've seen kangaroos, emus and echidnas along the way and are still on the lookout for a wild koala.  Wrens, Finches, Robins, Kites, Kestrels, Galahs, Cockatoos, Rosellas, Lorikeets and Eagles to name a few of the wonderful birds that we've spotted.

It's been great.

The road to Inverell was the perfect choice.  We drove over mountains and past rolling hills covered in golden grasses.  Beautiful big gum trees lined the road and dotted the fields.  There were mountain streams every so often and Wedge Tailed Eagles soaring high above the mountains.

We drove 10kms down a dirt road to the Pilliga Pottery and Barkala Farm Stay and Bird Haven.  I bought some lovely pottery coffee cups there (one as a gift for a friend) and found, much to my delight, little blue fairy wrens fluttering about.

The male patriarch who keeps his blue colours all year round.
A male who has lost his blue feathers for Autumn.
A female blue fairy wren.
One of the ladies there showed me how she drew the fairy wrens on the pottery pieces and she was amazing.  Her drawings so smooth and perfect.

The other lady gave me lots of information on the happenings of the place including a festival which will be starting up this year in October.  They have lovely farm stay accommodation available all year round and there are lots of activities to do and see in the area.

I think it has to go on Adoring Husband and my 'to do' list!!

We decided to take another turn to the picnic area of Sawn Rock, where we ate lunch and then took the walk along the trail to the rock.





It was amazing and felt a bit like 'Planet of the Apes'

We left there and made another interesting discovery when we took an unexpected turn off.


A geo-glacial waterfall.  Unfortunately it was the wrong time of day, with poor light for a photograph to do it justice, but believe me ... it was beautiful.

So tonight we are sleeping in Inverell.  We found a motel with a kitchen that provided room service AND a gluten free menu ... first time on the trip so far that I've found anything gluten free.

It was not the greatest bangers and mash that I've had, but it was nice to have a cooked meal knowing that it was 'safe'.

It is very bloody cold here ... and you know it's cold if "I" notice it!!

I'm going to crawl into my warm bed and sleep.

Back roads rock!!

Nite all.

No comments: