Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pelicans Visit

Because I stayed up til after 1am watching the tennis yesterday, I was, again, running late this morning for my trike ride to the Seat of Knowledge.

BGWLBH walked with me and as we arrived, a huge flock of pelicans flew above us, circled and then turned out over the water.

They kept flying back and forth, like they were lost and unsure where to go next!


So we waited.  We finished our coffee and chatted with the boys and eventually, the pelicans found their way to the sand flats.

It was low tide, so BGWLBH and I followed our noses to the end of the Lions Park, where she found a comfortable seat to take photographs from a distance and I gingerly tiptoed across the sand towards the pelicans, hoping to ge some close-ups.

The beach has recently been coated in mud.  Storms and heavy rains have washed this mud down the river and it has landed on the sandy beaches, causing deep pockets of mud that can suck your legs up to the knees if you're not careful.

There is nothing to indicate where some of these pockets are, so with every step, you have to test the pressure of the land under your foot before you put all of your weight down.

The pelicans were on to me almost from the word go.  The closer I got to them, the further away they moved.  I did get a couple of good shots in before they moved to where the deep mud was and I gave up.






There was also a juvenile Black Winged Stilt nearby so I got a nice one of him too.


The locals get very excited when the pelicans come to town.  This evening, when we went for our walk, all but one had disappeared.  The remaining pelican was making a hell of a noise, grunting and snorting as he paddled at the end of the boat ramp!


The sunset amounted to nothing, but it didn't matter because I was so happy with my pelican shots today.

Tomorrow, we are meeting the Chicklet family for a spot of Geo-caching, so stay tuned for the outcome of that!  Photos and a story to follow :)

In the meantime, check this out ...

http://www.geocaching.com/

Nite all.

No comments: