Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Geocaching Success

I've been using my 400mm Sigma lens a LOT.  It's been used so often, that there is paint missing from various parts of it.

The problem with this lens (and it was mentioned in the reviews), is that when it's used at it's full focal length, the image it takes is soft (meaning that the photo is not sharp), so to get a good photo, I have to pull it back to about 300mm.

So, for some reason, I decided that I would take the 500mm lens out to try to get some closer shots of the Brahminy and Whistling Kites, which like to sit high in the trees, or fly high in the sky.

I forgot how difficult it is to use and it is heavy and cumbersome.

This morning, I had the most amazing opportunity to capture a Brahminy Kite swooping for fish and then landing majestically on an outer branch of a tree.

I took a LOT of shots.  All of them at various focal lengths, from 500 through to 300 and not one of them was sharp.

There were two kites and both of them were sitting in good enough positions that I could spend time trying to capture the perfect shot.

It didn't happen.  **sad face**

From more than 100 shots, this was the best.


I hope there will be more opportunities - especially after my new lens arrives next week!  A Canon 100 - 400 mm.  I'm excited!

So today was the big Geocaching day!

We met Vegan Chickie, the Bare-chested Chef and Chicklet at the rendezvous point at the agreed time of 10am.

Chicklet was already toddling off across the field trying to make friends with a magpie when we arrived!

From there we had to walk onto the beach, turn right and then keep going for 300 metres.  Once we were in the vicinity of the cache, the iphone app couldn't help us any more and it was a matter of searching the area.

We were searching for a good ten minutes when Vegan Chickie announced that she had found it.

About 8 metres from the edge of the beach and partially hidden under a fallen log, was a plastic container, about the size of a bread box, full of little treasures like a keyring, business cards, a pink beaded bracelet, a plastic white polar bear, a toy plane to name a few.

There was also a little notepad where we wrote our names and the date, to verify that we had found it.  We also logged our success on the Geocaching website after we got home.


After Vegan Chickie added her own little treasures to the stash and then returned the box to it's hiding place, we all walked back to the car and drove about two kilometres down the road to another beach walkway in search of cache number two.

This time we only had to walk about 100 metres.

While I concentrated on taking photos of Chicklet, the others searched for the treasure.




This time the Bare-chested Chef was successful and found the tiny cache hidden inside a hollow chopped tree trunk which was right on the edge of the beach.

The cache was the size of an old camera film canister which was sealed in a ziplock plastic bag and hidden in the trunk under various sized bits of bark.  Well found by the Bare-chested Chef!


By now, it was almost Chicklet's nap time, so after a little break, and some giggling fun with Mum, we parted company and went for a drive through Toogoom looking for a coffee and possibly lunch.


We had coffee at one restaurant and then walked across the road to the new bakery.

Much to our delight, we discovered that they had a good range of gluten free items on their menu, so we decided to stay for lunch.

It really was delicious, but I think they may have given me the wrong bread, because I was decidedly unwell by the time I arrived home.  I recovered quickly, but it is most unpleasant when that happens.

So I've been onto the Geocaching website and registered our success for the day.

We are going to Bundaberg on Friday and Vegan Chickie has sent me a map of all the caches to be found between Brisbane and Bundaberg.  There are quite a few between here and Bundaberg, so we just might stop for one or two along the way!

'Thank you' goes to my Chicklet family for introducing us to geocaching and showing us how it is done today.  We look forward to trying it on our own in the coming days :o)

After geocaching success, I am weary and in need of sleep.

Nite all.




No comments: