Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Acclimatised

My fourth Winter in Queensland this time around.

This is the first year I've required warm clothes - long sleeves in particular!

It was difficult to climb out of bed this morning and even more difficult to find warm enough clothes to wear!

I am famous around town for my sleeveless attire all year round and I guess that I have worn sleeves, perhaps half a dozen times in four years (if that).

Generally, I just don't feel the cold.

By crikey I did this morning!  Icy cold outside and it got even worse when I triked down to the river and that sea breeze sprang up.  Brrrrrr.

I even cut my ride short and came home so that I could put on my fluffy slippers and sit outside in the warm sunshine, out of the wind.

I spent the morning setting up different ideas for our monthly flickr photography challenge which is themed 'Frozen in mid-air'.

My first idea was to attempt catching the streamers exploding from a party popper, but that failed miserably.  They just pop way too fast!  Even though I captured some streamers flying through the air, the reality was that they didn't look half as spectacular as they had in my imagination.  Ain't that always the way?

I was going to show you my failed attempt, but I just remembered that I deleted them.  Bugger.

My second idea was to make some multi-shaped, multi-coloured sequins bounce on the mini trampoline and capture them in mid-air.

At first, I was going to bounce a bowling ball onto the trampoline but I decided that something smaller, like a golf ball, would bounce enough.

Unfortunately, I have really BAD aim and I kept missing the trampoline!

So BGWLBH suggested putting her foot under the trampoline and bouncing the mat from underneath, which worked a treat!

Then we decided that it needed a darker background to make the sequins stand out, so we put a sheet of black cardboard as a background.

It didn't really work, because the sequins no longer looked like they were in mid air.  They looked like they were stuck to a piece of black cardboard!

I wandered around my house and my garden, trying to think of another idea, but in the end, I decided to go with this ...


I wrack my brain for 3 weeks trying to think of original ideas, but they just don't come!  In the end I throw something together in a hurry and feel disappointed that I don't have a fabulously outstanding and original idea!

Adoring Husband also got his shot done for the challenge and while we were uploading, deleting and editing our photos, BGWLBH was cleaning all of my jewellery.

I have two very large jewellery cases full of jewellery, which ranges from excellent quality, expensive stuff, to reasonably priced semi-precious gems set into pendants and rings, to cheap as chips dress jewellery.

She made a good attempt, but her fingers and hands got sore about a third of the way in.

It's nice to see them sparkling again and it's been a while since some of it was worn, simply because I was too lazy to clean them!

Tonight we all played trivia and unfortunately, I have lost my crown to BGWLBH, who annihilated us tonight in just over an hour.

Adoring Husband cursed every fifteen seconds, so we decided to fine him.  We used toothpicks as counters and by the end of the game he had racked up $133 worth of fines!

There were a couple of giggle-fests where we almost lost control, for example,  when words like 'Uranus' and 'Probe' were included in the questions.  Honestly, talk about childish!

Everybody else is in bed now, so I will show you my kangaroo shots from yesterday...



... and now it's time for me to sleep.

Big golf day tomorrow with Woman of Many Talents.  I expect it will be cold  when we start too .. brrrrrr.

I never believed that I would acclimatise to a Queensland Winter - what a wimp I am!

Nite all


No comments: