Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Long Road Home

Believe it or not, we actually drove away from the motel at 6am, just as we'd planned!

The car was covered with a 3ml coating of ice when we emerged from our room this morning.  The thermometer only showed 6C, but it felt a whole lot colder than that.  I even wore a tracksuit jacket!

It took a while to melt the ice from all of the car windows with jugs of tepid water before we could actually see out of the windscreen to drive.

We paused at a truck stop outside of Coonabarabran so that we could look behind and see how the sunrise was progressing ...

Not the best photo, but BGWLBH wanted to see the stars in the pic :)
There was not a cloud in the sky and no sign of mist, so there was no chance of anything special, apart from that pretty morning light.

A bit further down the road, as the sun got higher and was just about to peek over the horizon, we stopped again, just to see what we could muster from what little was available.

The sun peeps over the horizon
Sunrise through the grasses
Welcome to the final day of the Rock Star Road Trip.

Sadly, we had an eight hour drive ahead of us this morning, so we couldn't even take it slow and leisurely.

We saw lots of opportunities for great shots, but with so many roadworks and flooding and traffic, the chances to actually stop were very limited.

There was a lot of flooding on both sides of the road, that created this huge swampland and it was abundant with birdlife.

I saw, just from my passenger side window, White and Grey Heron, Ibis, Spoonbills, Cockatoos, Pelicans, 2 variations of duck, and the star of the show, that I almost threw myself out of the car for, and which at first, I thought was a Jabiru, but after some research this evening, have discovered that it was a Stork.

There was absolutely nowhere to stop.  It was a busy highway, with soft shoulders due to recent heavy rain and with roadworks for some distance.  Such a shame.  The area looked amazing for birdlife.

I am now falling asleep at the keyboard, so I will share one more photo with you before I say goodnight.

Oh to play cricket in the dish .. just like they did in the movie :D
We arrived home safe n sound but there was nobody but the dog here to greet us.  BGWLBH's Dad is in hospital ... I understand that he is on first name basis with all of the staff there haha ... I know you are reading this Mr G!  I hope you are feeling better by now.

There are still lots more photos, but they will have to wait for another day.

The long road home has absolutely worn me out and I have a date with hairdresser in the morning, so I'll seeya tomorrow night!

Nite all.

No comments: