Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cow's Butt kind of Mood

According to BGWLBH, I was in a Cow's Butt (insert inappropriate synonym here) kind of mood today.

My mood today.
I have to admit that I had a pretty negative attitude for most of the day, and I think it was a combination of knowing that our holiday is almost over and that it was the lovely Win's funeral back home today.


Tomorrow, I will start with a much more positive attitude so that I can make the most of our last day on the road!


It was danged cold in Tenterfield this morning -3C and very frosty!

A frosty field outside Tenterfield
I wore a sleeveless vest as I walked the main street getting shots of some of the Art Deco architecture, and only my fingers felt cold - I would have liked some gloves.


Our next stop was for an old abandoned church, but the tree beside the church really stole the show - especially the lovely shadows created by the low morning sunlight.

Abandoned church with a magic tree.
Unfortunately, both gates to the church were locked. If I was ten years younger (ok maybe 20), I would have jumped the fence, so instead I just made the most of the tree.


On the way up to Queensland, on the first leg of the Rock Star Road Trip, we stopped to get some shots of a cotton field, but I was very disappointed with the photos. I think we chose the wrong spot to stop that time.


This time, we stopped at the beginning of the field where I had a much better view.

A cotton field surrounded by an electric fence.

As I reached over the fence and touched the wire, I pulled back and thought to myself "Lucky it's not an electric fence, or I would be in trouble!"


I proceeded to take more photos, and then I reached my arms low between two of the fence wires to take some random shots, when I touched the wire again and got a shock! It was no more than a zap, just like touching another person after you've walked on synthetic carpet, but it sure gave me a fright!


During the trip today, and I can't remember exactly where (BGWLBH would probably remember) there was a sign that indicated there was a lookout if we followed the dirt track. We had stopped on the way up, but didn't follow the track.


Today, we decided to check it out.


The road was very rustic and as it wound up the hill, some of it had been washed away and there was some heavy erosion. We were wishing we had a 4WD, but there was nowhere to turn back and it was too treacherous to reverse back down the hill, so we had to persevere.


The track seemed to go on forever and every time we came around a bend expecting to find the lookout, but it just kept going.


Finally, we stopped the car and BGWLBH walked across a paddock, to what we thought was a view, but as soon as she reached the fence, she turned on her heel and came marching back to say that she couldn't see anything from the fence.


So we climbed back in the car and headed back down the hill.


On the way down, the view was amazing, but of course there was nowhere to stop for photos because the road was so bad!


So I have no photo to show for that little adventure!


We plan on leaving Coonabarabran by 6am tomorrow morning, so I need to get some sleep. It's going to be a long day of driving.


I won't wake up in a Cow's Butt kind of mood tomorrow ... I hope.


Nite all.

No comments: