Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Social Butterfly

What a good day.

I woke up a little bit late this morning, after my 1.30am bed time and now I am attempting to stay awake for Lleyton Hewitt's Round One Wimbledon match.

Due to my late start, I didn't have much time with my boys at the Seat of Knowledge, before morning tea with the girls.

It was the first time I'd seen Kaz since her lovely Mum passed away, so it was a bit emotional and it took all of my inner strength to hold it together.  I felt bad that I triggered tears for her, but really, tears are healthy when you are grieving aren't they?

I don't think that I've ever grieved in a healthy way, although, who's to say what the 'right' and 'wrong' ways are to grieve?  We all do it in our own way and in our own time.

After morning tea, I got to have a short pedal around town and discovered that the Pacific Basa birds are back.  All I have to do now is discover where they are nesting.  I don't think they are in the same tree as last year, because they are flying in different territory and were very close to the Seat of Knowledge today.

I couldn't get close enough for a good shot, but at one point, he flew from a tree, straight at me and only veered off when he got within about 6 feet of my head!  My camera was in it's bag at the time.
I will have to do some detective work there!

I noticed a lot of raptors about this morning, and all of them flying around in pairs, so I'm thinking they've all built their nests and it won't be long til there are lots of baby raptors learning to fly. Spring is just around the corner!

From my bird watching, I came home, quickly checked my photos and then made myself presentable for Mrs Bucket's retirement luncheon.









There was a good group of about 16 or 17 women who shared her retirement celebration. A couple of short speeches were made, lots of wine was consumed, some healthy (and some not so healthy) lunches were ordered.

I met a couple of new ladies, who were a lot of fun and I got to chat with some ladies who I haven't been able to catch up with for a while. I made a couple of dates for next week to spend some quality time with friends who I've missed while away on holidays.

So it's been a good day for touching base and getting back into the swing of things.

By the time the rest of us were making our way home, Mrs Bucket was just getting warmed up, and was doing the rounds of the general bar and being the centre of attention.

I have a funny feeling that she won't be feeling so funny tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be a rest day for me and I really hope that the weather is reasonable so that I can get some time on my trike and clear the cobwebs (from the trike AND my head).

It will be low tide in the morning, so I think I'll take a walk along the beach and see what treasures I can find.  With any luck, the White Breasted Eagle will come say hello!

For today, being a social butterfly was fun .. and the reason it was fun is because it doesn't happen too often.

Back to normal tomorrow!

Nite all.

No comments: