Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Public Nuisance

Remember, ages ago, probably a year, or more, I posted on here about internet trolls?  People who go looking for trouble on forum sites and social networking sites and stir the pot to incite anger and mistrust?

Today, I was called a troll, and my comments were deleted from a certain politician's facebook page.

A friend from my old town, whom I shall call 'Fox', is gay and is feeling angry at the current leader of this country, after she engineered a failed vote for gay marriage rights in Australia.

In retaliation he 'liked' the certain other politician's page, and in particular a photo of him waving with words to the effect "Goodbye Julia Gillard, don't let the door hit you on the way out".

I commented to Fox that this certain politician refused to allow his members to vote with their conscience and they were required to vote in unison.  This was part of the reason that the bill failed to receive the required votes.  I warned Fox that he should think twice before supporting this politician.

A female supporter of this politician then made a derogatory comment about gay marriage (I wish that I could now find this page again so that I could quote accurately) and that when in power, this politician would right the moral wrongs of this country.

I then replied that this politician was a sexist, chauvinistic bigot, that women's rights would take two steps backwards if he came into power and that the 'men's club' would become stronger than ever.

That was when they called me a troll, deleted my comments and made reference to pathetic Gillard supporters finding their page.

I wanted to go back and tell them that I didn't support Gillard, or any party, because I believe that they are all liars and not worthy of my support.  None of them can be trusted to fulfil their promises and I am angry that we are forced to choose from a line of liars because of laws that demand compulsory voting.

I am not writing this to invite political opinion or debate.

I am writing this because I am surprised at how little it takes to be labelled a troll!

I didn't go looking for them.  The page popped up on my feed because one of my friends 'liked' it.   My first comment was just stating facts and I honestly didn't expect any response (perhaps naively so).

Admittedly, my second comment was little aggressive ... in response to their 'righting moral wrongs' comment, and I threw women's rights into the mix because it was a female who made the comment to me.

Anyway, my comments were deleted, I was labelled a troll and the last comment by that same woman stated how thankful she will be when men take back control because of the mess that 'women' in politics have made of this country to date.

blah blah blah blah blah

So I am climbing back into my box and have decided that any comments I want to make regarding such risky subjects, should be made privately to the person intended and not publicly for the world to see.

Today, briefly, I was a public nuisance and a troll.  I will try not to let that happen again!

Nite all.


No comments: